Air Force Cyber Command Officers from the Academy?

CyberCommando

5-Year Member
I recently saw quite a few of the Air Force recruiting commercials about the USAF "Cyberspace" programs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj1WaPGDMbw
However, I have not met one person who is actually going into this program, or is personally involved, do any of you know anything about this? I am applying to the Academy, and while becoming involved in this particular aspect is not at the moment my goal, I would be interested to know more about this, if anyone has any sources.
Thanks

Well I only know a bit from scanning articles and forums regarding the new Air Force cyber command. I'm guessing that if you were to graduate from the academy with a computer science degree, you would be eligible to lead a dozen or more of the so called 'cyber warriors'. It's a really interesting field if you are thinking about it, hacking/security is fun and doing it for your country puts a lot more purpose in it.

Regarding the the new Cyber Command, I think it may also have to do something with AFNETOPS (Air force Network Operations). Probably the same thing. I know that they are training and teaching enlisted computer networking and maybe some programming concepts. But because hacking is a very sophisticated/complicated art, the programming and the logistics maybe entirely put in the responsibilities of the officers who were actually given the education. Also looking at the required courses for comp sci, I found that many of the courses were not as standard as those found in civilian colleges (a class was specialized in malware, viruses, and rootkits). So I am guessing it could be training the cadet to maintain the goal of superiority in cyberspace. My 2 cents on it.

The Air Force seems to still be "defining" its role in cyberspace as well.

Just out of curiousity, how come the whole "cyber-warfare" thing has seemed to fallen to the Air Force? I mean, it seems like this would be something that all the branches would deal with, but the Air Force seems to be the one that is given the bulk of the responsibilities. Maybe I'm wrong and this is just a mis-perception?

The AF is trying to make this a significant part of our mission. We basically claimed cyber as "our" domain before the other services did. As a very technically oriented branch, it should work, but we are still in the developing stages. No one really knows the extent and methods that "cyber warfare" will achieve.

Just out of curiousity, how come the whole "cyber-warfare" thing has seemed to fallen to the Air Force? I mean, it seems like this would be something that all the branches would deal with, but the Air Force seems to be the one that is given the bulk of the responsibilities. Maybe I'm wrong and this is just a mis-perception?

Q & A with Major General William T. Lord

Question:
Why should the US Air Force be tasked with this, instead of DISA or NSA, neither of which is tied to a specific branch of the military?

Answer:
Don't confuse the fact that we are standing up the Air Force Cyber Command to mean we are the lead for the nation, or the primary command to respond to a particular incident. We are just one part of a combined effort. Our first priority is to work with DoD to defend AF military resources, but many of those resources rely on civilian entities, so we obviously have a keen interest in protecting those items as well. We thought it was the right thing to do to consolidate our efforts and to align all the Air Force cyber-related resources so we can have better command and control. This command will be able to respond better to the needs of our commanders and be the focal point within the Air Force for cyber security and defense missions, as well as respond to emergencies and natural disasters. Make no mistake, we are partners with the other sister services--the Army, Marines, Navy--as well as with DISA, NSA and Homeland Security to name a few. We're all in this together.

http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/12/1427252

Back