Less City Wide Interest = Better Chances for those who are?

CyberCommando

5-Year Member
I am located in a City that, in general, does not like the military, San Francisco, CA. I have reason to believe that the amount of people applying to the Air Force Academy from here is extremely small.
Here are my reasons to believe this:
  1. I am the only person my ALO interviewed
  2. My friend's BGO from the Navy said that my congresswoman, Nancy Pelosi, nominated very few people.
  3. An article I read listed Pelosi as having given out very few nominations last year
These "facts" are not definitive, but they point to a small amount of interest from my district, additionally I have recieved a call from Pelosi's office from the Comittee saying that they were planning on recommending me. Unless for some reason the Speaker of the House despises me personally, I believe that I am qualified(I'm not going to list my qualifications, it seems that their are enough people doing this on the forums).

My question is this, how much does this increase (if it does at all) my chances of getting into the Academy(or Prep School). I have completed all of the application other than the CFA, and I have a date set to complete that before the deadline. (This is the hardest part for me, but I am making good progress and will hopefully achieve max on the situps, and hopefully better than the mean scores on all of them).

Thanks

I was thinking that too. My area, for the most part, it does not seem like a lot of students are interested in applying to an SA. My congressional district is also 55 sq mi, and I thought that maybe not a lot of people within those 55 sq mi are interested in applying. However, you can never know. Plus, just because you're the only person your ALO interviewed, does not mean you're the only one in your congressional district, and you're definitely not the only one in the state :p

But anyway, if there ARE few people applying from your area, then that's just basically less people you're in competition with. Just make yourself as competitive as you can be, because you never know who's a superkid lurking around and decides he/she wants to apply to the AFA. Anyway, depending on how competitive that group of people you're in competition with is, your chances of getting an appointment may or may not increase. If you're against few kids, and you're the strongest, and your MOC does not send in a slate with a principle nom that isn't you, then there's a good chance you'll have the highest WCS and you'll receive an appointment as long as you're qualified in all other areas (physically, medically, scholastically).

But alternatively, if you're in competition with few people, but they're superkids, there's a good chance you might not have the highest WCS score. You get what I'm saying? The AFA appoints those on the slate with the highest WCS score or those with a principal nom from their MOC as long as they're qualified in all other areas!

Also, if you come from a really underrepresented area, that might help you in receiving an appointment from being chosen from the national pool.. I believe..

And that's weird, I thought San Fransisco would be packed with applicants...

As for your last question.. have you been to San Francisco lately? :p
I'm sure that their are those "superkids" applying to the academy in SF, but I have a feeling they are applying to the other Congressman, as my friend Rob was telling me that Pelosi only has some 4 people applying to her, and my friend Mark, who is currently at West Point (one of those "superkids") said that it was a pain to get one from her.
"And House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, whose San Francisco district is 29 percent Asian, was also near the bottom, with 19." [url:http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2009/11/big-city_congress_members_aren.html] Source [/url]

Than again, I'm really hoping that I actually got the nomination, since the comittee called me to confirm that they selected me, but I believe she still has to give me some sort of go ahead (though I can't imagine getting a "Congratulations" call if I wasn't going to get a nomination).

Okay, I take it back. It was probably San Diego, San Dimas, San Jose, San Juan Capristrano, or whatever of the twenty-one cities in California that starts with San that I was thinking of. Also, how was it a pain to get a nom from Pelosi, if she doesn't have that many people applying. Or maybe she's really selective or the application process is difficult?

I'm not looking forward to starting the applications to earn an appointment from California's senators. They even ask for a recommendation form from a counselor or principal. I don't even know them, they don't know me! D: I guess this is a good time to start introducing myself and buying chocolates? :shake:

Or maybe she's really selective or the application process is difficult?

I'm not looking forward to starting the applications to earn an appointment from California's senators. They even ask for a recommendation form from a counselor or principal. I don't even know them, they don't know me! D: I guess this is a good time to start introducing myself and buying chocolates? :shake:

I'm not sure, I had no problem sending her my letter(lots of thought in that though), but some of my friends said that it was hard to deal with her *shrug*

You are going to want to go to their webpage and find out what the procedure is. I don't think it really matters all that much about you actually knowing them, my parents acutally disagree completely with Pelosi on EVERYTHING, but never the less she is our congresswoman.

maybe you should address her as ma'am like boxer was addressed and see how that goes. those of you in parts california have my sympathies but thank YOU for choosing to go to the academies

Actually; in the case of congresswoman Pelosi: The appropriate address is "Madam Speaker". She IS after all, the Speaker of the House of Representatives. (AND 3rd IN LINE TO THE PRESIDENCY). If you don't feel comfortable addressing her as that, then: In person; simply say Ma'am. E.g. Hello Ma'am, Yes Ma'am, etc... In writing; the appropriate method is:

The Honorable (full name)
(Room #) (Name) House Office Building
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative:

But again; Representative Pelosi falls under a unique situation being the speaker of the house. Even in writing, it's appropriate to address her as "Madam Speaker". Hope this helps. mike....

I've already sent in my letter, just wondering if anyone knew any additional information.
Thanks
Ed

In the end of the day it doesn't matter whether she nominates 5 or 10 or even just 1. In the case of 1, you will get the apptmt, if it is 2 or more, the person with the highest WCS will get the apptmt. She could have only 2 noms, you being one, but you could still lose out. It is not about how many noms she gives out, it is about being the highest WCS nom on her slate. Your chances do not improve just because San Fran is not the most pro-military area. I would highly doubt in Pelosi's district your ALO is the only ALO. Think of ALO's as community centric. In our area we had 1 ALO, but 2 Reps. Our ALO was not the only ALO for both reps., he just happened to be the ALO for our town. Obviously, there were other ALOs for other towns within the reps district. Don't take the leap that your ALO covers all of her district.

That's also assuming that pelosi DOESN'T rank her slate, and leaves it up to the academy. if she ranks her slate, then the WCS doesn't matter as long as the applicant meets the minimum requirements for the academy, and they have been given the "Primary Nomination". I know a lot of reps who rank their own slates. Personally; I think this is the way it should be. They shouldn't be shucking their duties and delegating it to the academy. Just like if the academy gives someone an LOA, the reps/senators should trust the academy's opinion of an exceptional applicant, and give that person a nomination. Even if it's their #10 slot.

Either way; you are correct that it doesn't really matter how pro-military a district is. However; if it's very non-pro-military, there will be a lot less applicants. So; if you happen to be a very good applicant. e.g. 4.0gpa; 30+act; 2100+SAT; etc... then your chances go up that you won't be competing with many others with the same high scores. That's usually where the problem arises. You get a district with 50+ applicants; 5 are sitting with stellar apps and 3.90-4.0 gpa's; kick butt ACT/SAT; and yet they CAN'T allow all 5 of them in because of max limits for each rep, senator, state, etc... I've seen, as I'm sure steve and others have seen, quite a few kick butt applicants who didn't get an appointment. Even though they looked so good. As you mentioned; pelosi's district could have a few ALO's and we don't know ALL the applicants.

My ALO told me he represtent about 11 schools, and I was the only applicant for the Air Force Academy, additionally the nurse told me that their had only been one other person in the area applying for the Air Force this year who had gone through the process.

I just found out today that I am going to be Pelosi's Principal Nominee. Does this mean that I have a higher chance of getting in?

Thanks guys,

I don't know Pelosi's procedures; BUT, if SHE ranks her slate of nominees, instead of allowing the academy to do it, and you are her PRINCIPAL NOMINEE, and assuming that the rest of your application is complete and meets at least the minimum requirements, as well as DODMRB; then you are "Guaranteed" an appointment. Not to get your hopes up to high, but that is the difference when the representative "RANKS" their slate, and them allowing the academy to do it. But again; I don't know 100% how Pelosi does it. Best of luck. Mike...

I'm not sure about the DoDMerb, I was untill very recently, and I found out that I have to deal with a potential disqualification because of dyslexia, and having broken my collarbone two summers ago.

My dyslexia is currently the most dangerous thing, simply because I am technically involved in our school's resource center, though I am a tutor, not a struggling young student.

Hopefully the DoDMerb will grant me a waiver. I'm going to feel pretty stupid if I got this far just to get disqualified at the last moment.

What is that supposed to mean!?!
(Seriously, I don't know and was just curious. :biggrin:)

I'm a pro-military, pro-gun, Republican country music fan in San Francisco, and I may be just on a stereotype, but I've heard I'd have more company in Texas :D

Sometimes it is good to stand out, instead of fitting in.

I'm a pro-military, pro-gun, Republican country music fan in San Francisco, and I may be just on a stereotype, but I've heard I'd have more company in Texas :D

Although, there is a good chance that you will fit in at the Academy:thumb:

Ha ha :yllol: Yep. You certainly would have a lot more company. :biggrin:
Except I live in San Antonio so I listen to a lot of Mexican music instead of Country. :thumb:

Back