Appointee Package

tgfalcon17

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
I received a call yesterday from my MOC, whom I received a nomination from, informing me of my official appointment to the Academy :biggrin:

I was wondering when all the big stuff comes in the mail (i.e. the appointee package, information, etc). Does it come before or after you accept your appointment?

Thanks!

You get it after, I can't remember exactly when or how long after, but you do get it after.

The appointment says that once you accept it, you will receive an additional packet of information sometime in February. So depending on when you accept, it may be a long or short wait (and depending on when they actually first start sending them out).

Edited to clarify that you will receive a large envelope in the mail soon now that says "Offer of appointment enclosed" on the front and has a folder inside with an information booklet, a copy of the oath, a form to return to accept/decline the appointment, and information about setting up a checking account. And a congratulations letter, which is what told you about the next batch of info once you returned it. From what I understand, at some point you also receive a certificate in a nice leather-type folder to display, but that may go to your ALO who can then mail or deliver it to you, or present it at a school awards night or similar. But that wouldn't be until you accept.

I hope I'm not missing anything. My offer of appointment letter came in a folder but only has the acceptance/decliination form, transportation info, and oath, but not an informatin booklet or checking acct info.

When did you get yours? Some people said the earlier ones had a bit less stuff in them. I was surprised that it had all the bank info - a regular letter sized envelope stuffed with all the forms to sign up for the account. Seemed strange to send that before you'd even accepted it, but if you look at the acceptance/declination form, one of the boxes you check states "I understand that I must open a checking account at the Armed Forces Bank on USAFA..." and that you'll do all those forms "immediately" upon accepting, so I guess it seems like it goes with it.

The booklet (I pulled out the appointment to look at it) was called "The Academy Experience" and has a bunch of pictures inside, sample days for BCT and academic year, general advice, preparation, cadet terms, and things like that. It also gives you the "all the reasons to be sure before accepting the appointment" info. It's informative and interesting to see/read, but certainly nothing you don't know from reading these forums. I might call your counselor and ask about getting those items if you're concerned!

Thank you marciemi! You are always so helpful to everyone on here!

P.S. I got my offer of appointment on Dec 29.

Thank you too! He got his on Dec. 26th, so they really shouldn't have been much different! Is AF your first choice? I know I've seen you around on the different forums! Looking forward to meeting you hopefully at orientation!!

Yes, AFA is my #1 choice, although I've been considering West Point too. I will be at the first AFA orientation with my family. I hope to get to know a few of my classmates before BCT so I won't feel so alone!

Hm - I was in the same position some 25 years ago, but ended up going with the WP option!! (Obviously!). It sounds like you've done a lot of research into both, and you really can't go wrong with either choice! My son is going out to CVW next week at Navy for one last consideration, but I think he's pretty much set on AF too.

Hm - I was in the same position some 25 years ago, but ended up going with the WP option!! (Obviously!). It sounds like you've done a lot of research into both, and you really can't go wrong with either choice! My son is going out to CVW next week at Navy for one last consideration, but I think he's pretty much set on AF too.

I have to say though...and it may have changed...

When I received my appt's to USMA, USNA, and USAFA...
(don't be amazed, it took two tries and a year at prep school)

The one from USMA was EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE!!! Big, very colorful, on serious paper...a VERY historic looking document.

The one from USNA was very nice.

The one from my now alma mater, USAFA...

Cheap little thing done on a printer.

Is USMA's still that nice?

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

I've heard the same thing recently - interesting but I honestly don't have ANY recollection of actually receiving either appointment or what exactly they looked like (or where I would ever find such a thing if I even kept them)!

I know my son's Navy one came in a nice folder/frame and the AF one was just kind of a paper envelope, but was told he might get something more impressive once he accepted the appointment. We'll see!

Guess we'll have to wait for Jezzie to weigh in on USMA! :thumb:

The West Point one I received came in a very nice folder/certificate thing with a nice printed certificate as well as a letter inside. Hope that helps!

What happened last year when a couple of my highschool guys got in (year ahead of me, they are both there now), is that they got a kind of paper notice in the mail, and on the high school award day, a representative from the academy comes to formerly present the appointment; it's a nice looking plaque. Hopefully the same thing will happen to me!

There is a paper appointment that is sent through the mail. My ALO came to my High School for the Senior Assembly last year when the senior slideshow is shown and a bunch of other scholarships are presented. My ALO came and presented a very nice folder and much more decorative appointment presentation. (don't ask me what it looks like since I haven't really been home the past 6+ months and didn't even think of looking at it when on leave.

Most likely your ALO will contact you and determine when the presentation will happen. Most are done at assemblies like that. Some who are homeschooled have it presented at their grad parties and such. It's up to you when you get the official presentation appointment.

For me, it was extremely humbling, My ALO went out on the stage gave a slight intro, then I came out. A very good portion of the school gave an ovation. It was about that point I realized why I would be at a service academy. It was fun hearing what the other students thought of what I'd be doing and then the big *gasp* and reaction to the estimated price tag of USAFA.

Kinda a long story, but the formal presentation is something that sticks with you.

We ALO's LOVE to do those presentations!!

I already know that I have 2 to do this year....and hopefully several more!!!

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

USMA comes in a nice black folder with a colored Appointment certificate attached inside...looked very nice.
Although my (D) will be choosing AFA..she thought the USMA folder was very nice and a great keepsake.

I also received a phone call from my MOC's office on January 7th. She said I had received an appointment (which I thought was a bit strange coming from the MOC).

So I get the mail today after school, and find three notes about the size of a postcard that confirm my nominations.

I don't see anything online yet about an acceptance.

I was a little concerned when I got those "postcards" today. I could have sworn the MOC said "appointment" but now I'm starting to think I misunderstood.

I planned on calling my counselor today to confirm.

EDIT: Everything is fine. Sorry about this post, but I called my counselor and she said packages would be mailed out tomorrow for the more recent appointees.
I was having a mini-heart attack thinking I had misheard. :)

Last edited:
Back