When are most applicants notified?

afacga

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Hi - My son's file has been complete for a while. He passed (with strong points) the physical fitness test, and medical evaluation. He has a nomination. The nomination Rep told me that he received very high marks from his ALO for his interview. He has a 3.757 gpa, varsity athlete (4 years, two sports), served as captain for both sports, and he is an Eagle Scout.

The only thing that is low for him is his Reading SAT score. He took it 5 times, and his score is only 530. His Math SAT score, however was 710, and Reading SAT was 600. He did much better on English on the ACT (30). Math ACT was 29, and ACT composite was 28. Since he was not able to improve his SAT Math, the admissions counselor suggested that he take the ACT one more time. However, due to sports, he cannot take the February sitting, which leaves only the April testing date - which I don't even think the scores would be back in time - prior to a 5/1 commitment date for colleges. Also, he is just not really into taking it again, and I don't blame him. He feels he has tried so hard, and he has.

This waiting is so hard! When do most applicants find out? He is being recruited for football from 5 different schools right now (top D3 schools), and is trying to decide which one will be his backup plan. What happens if he doesn't hear from AFA (which is his #1 choice) by the end of April, does he commit to another college? I've heard of cadets getting appointed even a week before reporting for BCT... do they just lose their application deposit to the school they committed to? Is that fair to the other school, particularly if they are counting on him to be a part of their football team?

If only he could play fb for afa, his life's dreams would be fulfilled!

"Most" applicants are notified in March from what I've read on here. My son is in the same shoes as yours with AFA--He's got a 4.0 gpa, He has almost identical ECs, and team captain of both his football and baseball teams. His dad and I are AFA Grads, so he knows what he's getting into, has 2 noms--but no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't get his Reading SAT over 540, or critical reading ACT over 23. His math and English scores were fine (32 Math ACT and 30 verbal)--but CR doesn't seem to be high enough for AF, but fortuneatly USNA offered him an appointment in October, so he decided not to continue beating himself up taking the test anymore. (FWIW, hubs was sent to the prep school because his test scores weren't high enough, he never did get them up to where USAFA wanted them, but he ended up graduating in top 15% of USAFA class, and the top graduate out of UPT) SO stay hopeful, he was actually notified after HS graduation that he was admitted to the prep school, he was all set to go to VTech.

SO, from personal experience and what I've read about back up plans, is yes, you may lose any deposits you have, but its best to keep the back up plan fully in place until they actually inprocess, just in case.

Falconchic88 - what did your husband fly? My husband is an 86 grad. He flew F-15's and was a T-37 instructor at Vance.

riroka, he flew C-21's out of Randolph AFB, then C-5s at Dover. He went to UPT at Laughlin. He originally rcvd an F-16to Langley in his drop, but since we were "Join Spouse"(I was a pers. officer) the only place we could be together was Randolph. So he turned down his dream assignment for love. It was a tough choice, he grew up in Northern VA!

Back