Staying in shape... during BCT?

caitvvw

5-Year Member
As someone involved in varsity Cross Country and distance Track and Field, I'm an absolute freak about staying in good running shape. I can be out running 8 miles a day during the off-season, with regular workouts and weight lifting 3-4 days for an hour during the week along with that. This means that I'm generally training 15 hours a week or so.

It led me to wonder (and apologies if this is a really stupid question)... say you're a varsity level athlete and you're in basic for two months at the academy, do they hold practices for those sports where performance rests heavily upon summer training?

Just curious.

Everyone does BCT. No one is exempt because they are a recruited athlete. The only exception I've seen, has been during inter-squad athletics about 2 times a week. There are a lot of intramural type activities during BCT. Many of the recruited IC Athletes, (Mainly football players, because I'm familiar with them. I don't know about other IC athletes); would go to the varsity weight room and lift weights on those days. The main reason was that they didn't want their recruited athletes getting injured during BCT athletics. But except for those few hours, all basics are in basic. You don't practice your sport with the team. Officially, you're not even a cadet until you've graduated BCT. And it is not uncommon for athletes to lose a lot of weight in BCT. Especially football players and such who stop real lifting for 2 months. I've seen a lot of football players lose 20-30 pounds during BCT. Not sure about X-country. Don't know too many 200+ LB cross country runners.

Now; if you're a recruited athlete on the x-country team, then I suggest you contact your coach who recruited you and ask him/her. That's how we found out a lot of questions for my son. We asked his coach. We usually contacted him, or him us, at least twice a month from the time my son received his appointment in November until I-day. And even on I-day, the coaches made all the recruited football players meet for a breakfast at the stadium prior to in-processing. Just to get the players to relax, meet each other and upper class players; and get the mom and dads to realize that everything was going to be OK. So contact your coach. They'll know the specific procedure for your sport. best of luck. mike....

During basic intramurals ICs will go and practice, at least the football players lifted. Im not sure about the other sports

The other sports go to intramurals also. If applicable, many of them will play the sport they would play on an IC level.

if you're recuited for a certain sport, then they will assign you an intramural that your coach picks ( i.e. swimmers will go to swimming, runners will go to cross country, baseball players go to softball, football goes to weights, basketball to basketball, volleyball to volleyball, etc.)

other than that, you'll get a workout every day :shake:

Back