multiple applications

Man2112

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
hello,
Just wondering what percentage of people apply to all, or several of the Academies during the application process? I've heard rumors of some senators requiring it.

Whether it's a rumor or true, it's pretty irrelevant. There's 50 states, so the rules are different for everyone. And there's 453 districts in the 50 states, and each representative can have their own policies.

But to answer your question, there is no real percentage. On this forum, you will find some that applied to all 5 academies. They also applied for numerous ROTC scholarships. You'll also fine some that only applied to 2-3 of the academies. And then you'll find some that only applied to 1 academy.

Most representatives and senators ask the question, or have it on their application, asking if you've applied to the other academies. They do this for numerous reasons. Some won't nominate a person to more than one academy. They work with other state nominators to try and maximize nominations. I.e. If senator "A" nominates a candidate for the Army, no one else will nominate him/her to anything else. That's why some ask you to rank which academy is your preference. But that's just one example. Some representatives and senators go to the other extreme and nominate who they want and where. They might give you a nomination to army, air force, navy, and merchant marines. (Coast Guard doesn't require a congressional nomination).

So forget about what you've heard. True or not, it doesn't matter. Just know what your representative and senator's policies are. That's what matters. And as far as applying to all the academies to increase your odds of getting in....... Well, let's just say that I am not a fan of that. To me; military service "SHOULD" be a calling. If a person had a calling to be a catholic priest, and for whatever reason could get accepted; they wouldn't go to the jewish or buddhist temple and see if they could get in over there. Not to say that you couldn't feel compelled towards more than one branch of the military. That's possible. But I find it very unlikely that you'd feel compelled towards all 5 of the military academies. That tells me you "might" be more compelled towards the non-service side of it; such as the free education and other benefits. Not that it's not possible; just unlikely. I personally think you need to decide seriously which branch of the military you'd like to serve in. Then, apply to that academy. If it's more than one, then apply to more than one. Good luck. mike....

I myslef applied to all five except the Merchant Marine. I know one person who applied to all 5(and was accepted to four of them), and I know some people who have applied to only one, only 2, and some for only three. It really truly goes across the spectrum.

I have never heard of that at all. FWIW, I think any MOC that requires that is a complete ARSE and should be voted out of public office immediately! Think about it, the fact that they do not realize each branch is mission specific is insane. Are they saying that a kid who wants to drive a tank would be happy on a boat or vise a verse?

I agree with Mike, I think you are confusing that most MOCs ask you to rank your SA choices. Just because they allow you to rank them does not mean you have to ask for a nom from all of them. Our DS's MOCs asked that and he only wanted the AFA, he did not ask for a nom to any other SA.

Be truthful to yourself, answer the question about what you want to do IN THE MILITARY, if you can do it in all 5 branches, go for it. If it is branch specific, then ask yourself if you would be happy doing something else in another branch. For example, you can fly fixed wing in all of the branches, but it is pretty hard to find a position of driving a boat or tank in the AF, just as it is pretty hard to have a successful career in the CG or Navy without ever stepping on a boat. The SA's are sprints, your career will be the marathon.

okay, thank you all for the great responses (as usual.)

The only reason this question comes to me is because all my life, all i've wanted was the military; and since 4th grade all i've wanted was Air Force. However, i would still do anything, and any job the military wanted me to/ would let me do.

Pretty much, what i wanted to figure out was if it would be wise to apply to all, just in case i don't get accepted to USAFA?

okay, thank you all for the great responses (as usual.)

The only reason this question comes to me is because all my life, all i've wanted was the military; and since 4th grade all i've wanted was Air Force. However, i would still do anything, and any job the military wanted me to/ would let me do.

Pretty much, what i wanted to figure out was if it would be wise to apply to all, just in case i don't get accepted to USAFA?

This was my basic reasoning, which is why I applied to all four.

You have 2 more yrs before this becomes an issue. I would strongly suggest that you look into each branch. You may have always wanted to be in the AF, but as you mature so will your interests, and that includes vocational desires.

I would suggest that you realize each and every branch is unique. Take the time now to look into not the SA's, but the actual branch. The AF is known as the corporate branch. They truly mean the duty day is 8-4 (caveat for flyers). The joke that flyers are the golden children is not really a joke.

Look at each branch for jobs that you are interested in once you graduate. As much as you believe you would be happy to serve in any position in any branch, it is a lot different when the Army puts you in a tank, the Navy puts you on a ship or the AF places you in charge of maintenance, when all you ever wanted to do was fly a plane.

One of my twins applied to both AFA and USNA and at his interview the senator's rep did ask him to rank them in order of his preference and why. Son rec'd both nom and appt to both schools but there was never any question about which he wanted more. He also turned down two full-ride scholarships (NAVY and ARMY) to attend AFA.

The other guy applied only to AFA and had the full-ride ROTC (army) to civ college. He was nervous about committing to the AFA till the last moment and now can't believe he considered anything else.

Back