Interview question...

cylee1208

5-Year Member
I got a call from a local Air Force alumni that he wants to have an interview for the summer seminar. I didn't expect an interview to be so soon and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.:confused:
What kind of questions should I expect from this interview?

It was a couple years ago, and my son was interviewed by his ALO who was not an alumni, but I know he was asked questions about why he was interested in the AFA and what he hoped to do in the future. Also some simple questions on his activities; some questions about his Eagle Project and other stuff he'd put on his application.
Good Luck!

The standards...
Why you want to attend.
Why you want to join the AF.
Your background, activities, motivations, etc.

Cylee1208,
The most important thing is not to stress out about it, be yourself, and answer the question honestly. Like raimius said, he will probably ask you the common questions of 1)Why you want to go there?(there is no real right or wrong answer to this. However, some show stronger motivation than other. Like I want to go so I can get a free education is a complete turn off because you probably wont be able to hack it for 4 years.). 2)What do you want to do in the Air Force (one of the best answers is to be a pilot. However, whatever you want to do is fine. I wanted to be an engineer. So, that what I talk about. If you really want to do something you are going to know about that subject. So know about what you want to do and about the Academy.) 3) What your plan B if you don't get into the Academy (AFROTC is probably the best answer to this) 4) What are you doing to prepare Academically, Physically, and Mentally? 5)How are you going to handle the pressure at the Academy? 6)What is leadership and what make you think you can be a leader (something about the ability to get other to follow you in doing something they don't really want to do.) 7)What are you best and worst characteristics? (again answers honestly. I choose procrastination and went on to talk about how I knew this was a bad trait and what I was doing to kick the habit before I got to the Academy) The list goes on and on. There really is no way to prepare for it beside looking into the profession you are interested in and into the Academy, and being confident in yourself.
Good Luck,
Runningman2014

Last edited:
If you want to go to the summer seminar; and you know why; then you're ready for the interview. If you want to go to the air force academy, and you know why; then you're ready for the interview. Stop thinking about it. Sort of like walking down a set of stairs with a hot cup of coffee or chocolate filled to the top. If you stare at the cup and worry, then you're bound to spill it. If you don't pay any attention to it and have confidence, then you won't spill it.

This, your interview for the academy by the ALO and MOC are do different. You should be able to go into interviews like this without any preparation whatsoever. If you think that you have to "prepare" for these interviews, then you need to work on confidence and not the interview. These interviewers, whether they are your ALO, MOC, Alumni, or anyone else, are not on some power trip where they are trying to make you stumble. There aren't asking you a bunch of questions that have a right and wrong answer to it. They simply want to know.

1. Why do you want the air force academy
2. Is this really your idea or someone else's (Parent, friend, family)
3. Do you understand the seriousness of such a decision

Stop thinking so much. This is the advice I give for everyone who will need to interview at any stage of this process. There's nothing to get ready for. If you don't feel like you know the "Right" answers, then you need to be questioning yourself about why you are applying.

Should you prepare for an interview? Most definitely. But you shouldn't be preparing for what "Types" of questions you're going to get. STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!!! So, what should you be preparing for? Simple....

1. Practice diction, enunciation, and proper English. Don't say; Ummm, Like, Ya Know, uh huh, yea, etc....
2. Practice not figiting
3. Practice looking at the interviewer in their eyes and not at the ceiling or at your feet
4. Practice wearing nice presentable clothing. Many people never wear a shirt/tie, suit, dress, etc... And when they are wearing such things, they LOOK uncomfortable.

These are the things you need to prepare for. If you are comfortable speaking; comfortable looking good; comfortable using proper English and pronouncing words and enunciating, etc...; then you should be ready for an interview exactly 24 minutes from now. If you're asking questions about the questions expected at the interview, then you are asking the WRONG question. If you are concentrating on that, then you need to have a long chat with yourself and figure out if this is really what you want. Because that is all the interviewers are wanting to know. There are no trick questions. There are no right and wrong answers. Not if they are true and sincere answers. So don't worry about interviews and questions. You already know every answer to every question that they are going to ask you. You've already aced that part of the interview. I wish when people asked: "Can you tell me what kind of questions to expect"? That posters would simply respond: "NO"!. Because the questions aren't important. You already know the questions and the answers. Just look good, sound good, and be professional, relaxed, and confident. Best of luck.... mike....

I guess I never looked at it that way...anyways, thanks for your deep insight. This will surely help me in all of my future interviews to come.

Back