Pilot slots out of the USAFA

caseyrc93

5-Year Member
I've been recently hearing all of the UAV and pilot slot rumors going around and i have two questions:
1) How many cadets get a pilot slot from the USAFA? If I want to fly, would i be able to?
2) How many of those slots are for UAV's or remote control planes?
-would i possibly be forced to make a decision to fly UAV's or not fly at all??

Thanks

I'm not the authority on this, but here's what I do know:

1) Around 60% of graduates get a pilot slot. If you want to fly and are PQ, then you would be able to, as long as your GPA is slightly higher than average, which is not hard to do. Note that not all who attend UPT graduate, but Academy grads generally do better during UPT than ROTC grads.

2) Not sure how many slots there are for UAVs, but it is an expanding program. The Air Force sees UAVs as a more appropriate weapon for many operations conducted in the Middle East right now. Currently the UAV pilots are all pilots with some experience in conventional aircrafts, so you wouldn't go directly from the Academy to the UAS program.

Keep in mind that whatever you do after graduation is ultimately determined by the needs of the Air Force. Coming here simply as a means get a pilot slot is the wrong reason - and you'll be sorely disappointed when the Air Force denies you one. Come here to become an officer to lead airmen, and not to get a step ahead on your personal goals. Changing certain attitudes can help you get through this place and hopefully give more meaning to what you do.

UAV pilots are determined at the END of pilot training. There is NO WAY to know while an AFA student if you will get a UAV. The training is the same in UPT. Everyone flies the T-6 and then you track T-1, T-38, T-34 or helos after @ 6 months in the T-6.

Everything starts over after college graduation. How poorly/well you performed at the AFA will not have any bearing on your UPT class rank or status. Your comissioning source, be it AFA, ROTC or OTS has NO effect of your UPT aircraft/UAV assignment.

home is correct, once you get to UPT it all starts over again! You could graduate as #1 at AFA, but wash out of UPT. In Bullet's FTU class, the DG was not a AFA grad, not a FAIP, but some lowly ROTC grad (BULLET). The only person to go to an FEB was a AFA grad!

The reason to attend the AFA is not for the wings, but for the education. It is great to have the goal, but realize that you will not be reporting for UPT for at least 4 yrs from this June. ALOT CAN HAPPEN...for example you decide to get jump wings out of the AFA, one bad jump and you break your ankle so bad that it requires pins which will require a medical waiver for ejection seats, so do you still ask for UPT knowing that the best option you can have is flying heavies or UAVS?

Let's also remember YOU MUST GRADUATE FIRST. Statistically 25% of any class will not be attending graduation 4 yrs later in CSprings.

the number i've seen is closer to 50%, not 60. and i believe (for 2010 at least) this was rated slots, which is not only pilots (although the majority are)

the Air Force is developing a new program, however, for RPAs, and 2011 was told they will recieve both pilot slots and RPA slots.

**Note: The name of these vehicles have changed from UAVs to UASs, and now finally to RPAs - Remote Pilot Aircraft**

Eagle, I'm curious if you've heard anything else about RPA slots... do they take away from pilot slots? Is it the same program where you fly drones for a few years then get into a real cockpit?

Pilot - 500
Nav - 25
ABM - 14
UAS - 18
Total - 557

Non-rated 450

This was conveyed to 2011's (at least in some squads).

Back