What now Thread?

jgravz33

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Hello I have received my appointment and am now wondering what i can do to prepare. I was thinking about finding a good six to 9 week workout plan i can do after Track season ends. Can anyone refer me to a thread from the past that they have discussed the things we can be doing to prepare.
Thanks So much
C/O 2014!!!

the PDF file on your admissions page (the one you use your SS# to log into) has a pre-BCT plan to follow. i believe it is right above the paperwork section.

the PDF file on your admissions page (the one you use your SS# to log into) has a pre-BCT plan to follow. i believe it is right above the paperwork section.

If I remember correctly, that plan is really weak. Just do lots of pushups, pullups, abs, and endurance running.

OK; you want the "Mikey's guide to life" opinion??? This is so simple.

You received your appointment. You accepted your appointment. It's February. You are in track. When track is over; continue running every day. Especially if your track is short distance stuff. Go out and jog a few miles every day. About 30-40 minutes.

Then; you know what you do next?????

ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR SENIOR YEAR!!!! Stop thinking. Stay excited. Go to Prom. Hang out with friends. Visit your family members that you don't see much. And when you go to prom, if you don't have a steady boy/girl friend, then ask someone that you know, that probably wouldn't get asked by someone. You are an athlete; as is 95% of ALL cadets. You passed the CFA. As long as you keep your "WIND", you'll be fine in BCT. 30-40 minutes a day jogging. It will release tension and stress. It will build up your lungs. And you'll feel better. That's all you need.

NOW, GET THE HELL OUT THERE AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR SENIOR YEAR!!!! But DON'T get STUPID!!!!

You have been accepted to one of the finest educational institutions in the entire country. Your acceptance is equal to those who go to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Brown, Penn, etc... Maybe some of your friends are fortunate to get to a school as prestigious as the one you're going to. Trust me, there's a lot of envious people at your school looking at you. Not saying to be arrogant or think you're better than anyone. But recognize your accomplishments; be PROUD of yourself; raise your confidence level about 10 notches; and enjoy life. Soon enough, you're going to be at the academy with 1300+ PEERS. And these PEERS will indeed be equal to you. Their experiences, accomplishments, pride, etc... are going to be just as good as yours. You will need to humble yourself when you get to the academy. But for NOW..... Enjoy your life. Don't quit in your classes. Continue to excel. Some people have lost their appointments because they allowed themselves to get "D" and "F" in classes. Or they got stupid and got into trouble. You don't want any of that..... However, you really need to enjoy the next 4 1/2 months. You will NEVER get these days back again. Best of luck to you. mike....

yup; just relax and have a good time. almost everyone here wishes they would've done more their senior year in high school..

but dont forget to run & get/stay in good aerobic shape. be able to do as many pushups, pullups, flutterkicks, and situps as you can.

Altitude?

Does anybody have trouble with the altitude that first week?

Particularly, do any of you that came from sea level to the roughly 7000 feet of USAFA remember noticing the altitude verses cadets coming from higher altitudes?

Would you recommend a couple of days at that altitude before in-processing, or does it make any difference?

Of course everyone notices the difference at altitude! The upperclassmen run the stairs like they're no problem, but with the altitude, the basics lag far behind. In the first week, you'll do the 1.5 mile run. It will suck. Then, you'll run every other day all summer. At the end of basic, you'll run again and your time will probably drop by a minute or more. Keep running and it'll be better, but everyone finds something that challenges them during basic, so keep your head up and help out your classmates when they need it. I found a push up the hills to be very helpful, especially during the assault course ;)

Each year, the academy does studies on altitude and similar, to try and help the basics do better. They really do want you to do well. They normally get a group of HABs (High Altitude Basics) that were raised at high altitude to be a control group. (My son got "Volunteered" by his football coach. You'll find that the word "Volunteer" doesn't mean the same thing in the military). Anyway, they do tests on their control group and others to see the effects. Over time, they have adjusted certain parts of basic to allow for some acclimation. Unfortunately, it really does take a couple months for the body to acclimate to lower pressure on the cardiovascular system. But they've been training cadets for more than 50 years. They are definitely aware of it.

As mentioned, run a lot prior to going to the academy. Try to "Burn". (Make your muscles burn and hurt). If you can run 5 miles at home, 3-4 times a week by the time you leave for the academy, you'll be able to handle the exercising and altitude. Best of luck. Mike....

everyone not from altitude feels it. getting here a few days early wont do anything for you... most people at usafa still start gasping after walking up to the 5th floor of fairchild to get to classes.

Back