Using Denver airport for summer seminars

dk_eaglescout

5-Year Member
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice about traveling to summer seminars from Denver airport. I know USAFA only picks up from the Colorado Springs airport, so what are my options if I fly into the Denver airport? Thanks!

Using denver airport for summer seminar

My son attended summer seminar at USAFA in 2008. We flew right into the Colorado Springs Airport, very small, but very nice. Use this airport, not Denver. If your family is going with you, stay at the Best Western, The Academy Hotel, at the south gate of the Academy. It is very inexpensive, with a free hot buffet breakfast. We had a nice visit while my son, attended summer seminar.

Good luck, your making the right decision, keep us posted.

RGK

Last edited:
Looking at sessions and flights to possibly choose and trying to use Colorado Springs...typically what time do they want your flight to arrive by the first day and what is the earliest they suggest you leave on the last day...thanks

From the Summer Seminar Registration and Program Information (Link on your acceptance page):

ARRIVAL (Commercial Air)
Arrival to the Colorado Springs Airport should be scheduled between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. USAF Academy transportation will be standing by to take you to the Academy. Arrivals outside the above times can be handled on a case-by-case basis.
There will be USAF Academy cadets at the baggage claim area to assist the student to the buses.

DEPARTURE (Commercial Air)
Book your return flight to depart before 2:00 PM if possible. Early mornings, (e.g., 6:00 AM) departures are okay. Transportation will be provided to the Colorado Springs Airport. We will ensure that the students are to the airport at least two hours before the departure time.

My son did a later flight coming home last summer (2:05 - the other choice was early morning) and regretted it. I thought it would give him more time that day, allow him to maybe sleep in, tour, hang out with friends. But seems like they had them all up and ready to go very early and he spent a lot of time just sitting and doing nothing. Took the last bus to the airport and still had 3 hours sitting there. So I'd try for earlier if you can!

Thanks for the reply...trying to figure which session to choose and travel logistics play into it...so just to confirm. Session 3 for example begins on Monday 6/14. Arrive by 4pm. Session 3 ends on Friday 6/18. They want you out of there by 2pm? So there is no closing cermony that day, like say SLS has? So you can catch a mid morning flight? Thanks again.

No, nothing that day, unlike NASS or SLS. My son said people had 6am flights and they were waking kids up by about 3am so there was nothing "programmed" going on.

Back