Chance?

alexkim

5-Year Member
Anyone know if the majority of the appointments have already been given out? Also when are you notified of your status? I've haven't gotten a rejection, waitlist, or acceptance letter of any kind. My online status has been Candidate for almost 7 months and has been "Completed" about 1 month and a couple weeks now.
(I've read somewhere on this forum that by 2nd week of April, everyone will be notified of their status but is this true?)

It's really hard waiting =)

Last edited:
I called Admissions (couldn't reach my counselor because he is on leave) and was told that they were running a bit late. There is a 17% increase in the amount of applications received by USAFA this year compared to last. Admissions also told me that the majority of appointments have been decided upon but the decision-making is still in process - there is an amount appointments still waiting to go out.

According to them, we've got until the second week of April to get notification. If nothing is received by then, I was told to give my counselor a call. Hang in there bro! I'm just as anxious... :thumbdown:

i read somewhere on this forum earlier today that about 60% of appointments have been mailed, leaving 40% yet to be mailed. don't know how accurate that is, but hang in there!

I talked with an admissions counselor yesterday and she said a batch of notification will be sent out April 1. So it seems that the time lines are not unlike previous years. Remember this is the Military which has the unofficial creed of "hurry up, and wait, and then wait some more"

Of those notifications, is it possible to receive an appointment? or all those just going to be either thank you for applying or you are on the waiting list notifications?

have the recent notifications checked their online status for a change? My DS still says "Candidate" and "Complete" since October.

Yesterday, one of our applicants; "Meaning local applicant, not my child"; received notification that she received an appointment. So they are still going out.

I know it's frustrating and stressful, but just hang in there. And as long as you have good backup colleges/universities set up in case, everything will eventually work out the best for you.

And if some don't get appointments, while it can be very disappointing, please don't let it discourage you or make have it make you feel like somehow you failed. The vast majority of the time, it's nothing that you really could have done to change the results. What I mean is, there are only 1300+ slots available. There are close to 10,000 applicants applying. And the hardest part is that each representative and senator are only allowed "X" amount of appointees. Unless you happen to be a 4.0gpa, 30+ACT, 2100+SAT, #1 class rank, etc... you really have to compete with those in your district/state. And if there are 3,4,5, etc... applying from the same district in a state that all have GREAT scores, the representative can only have 1 person get an appointment if S/He already has 4 currently at the academy. And even though the other 3-4 now have to compete against the national pool, they can still only accept so many.

Guess what I'm saying is: We've seen people with those 4.0 gpa's not get appointments. It's not their fault. It's just that only so many can receive an appointment. But don't give up. If you don't make it this year, you now have an advantage. You really know the process. You can have your entire application completed, filled out, and finished prior to your first college class starting in August. This allows you the benefit of having your application reviewed first and possibly getting an LOA in Oct-Nov. And those who apply a 2nd time and beyond also have the benefit of the academy being impressed. Yes, they see that you've applied before. And you will definitely get "unofficial" kudos for not quitting on your goals. And there are plenty of cadets/alumni, like our very own Flieger who did not get in on the first try.

So hang in there everyone. The appointments are still going out. You all still have a chance. And if you don't get an appointment it doesn't mean you've been rejected. If you didn't qualify, you would have been told that long ago. Not getting an appointment simply means there isn't enough slots for all those that qualify.

P.s. I just spoke to my son, home on spring break, he said that one of the cadets in his class found out about his appointment the first week of June. Remember, not everyone who receives an appointment will accept it. There's a lot of those in the last 3-5 months received acceptance letters from some very fine colleges and universities. Many with scholarships. Best of luck to everyone. Mike....

I talked with an admissions counselor yesterday and she said a batch of notification will be sent out April 1. So it seems that the time lines are not unlike previous years. Remember this is the Military which has the unofficial creed of "hurry up, and wait, and then wait some more"

Are the April 1st notifications going to be seen online, with our status' changing? Or does it mean that the letters are going out on April 1st and depending on where you live you'll receive some sort of notification on a different date?

Folks,

You're all trying to "game" something that you have ZERO control over.

If I came on this board and told those of you that don't know me that I'm an AF Colonel, USAFA graduate, and that I'm an ALO...you would probably give me a little credence.

If I then said that EVERY APPOINTMENT HAS BEEN MADE as of 29 March 2010, you would probably be crushed.

Okay, here's what I'll tell you...I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY ARE LEFT, and neither do any of you, really.

It really does you no good at all trying to "second guess" or "game" the system. It is what it is. I know that's NOT what any of you want to hear; trust me, I've "been there, done that" TWICE.

You just have to be patient. The system will grind on until the RR folks have decided that they've sent out enough appointment offers, FOR NOW. They'll then send out letters that you are dreading...fact of life, many on this board will receive them, as many have received the BFE.

And THEN...RR will wait...to see how many folks will turn down their appointment! I have a young lady in AZ...she's been offered her USAFA appointment. Today she turned it down; she's decided to attend one of the other SA's. So there's a slot that wasn't available, that will now be made available to someone that wasn't on the list this morning.

That's how the final selections are made. As I said...it takes patience and time.

I know that is NOT what anyone wants to hear...

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

Back