Too late to start for 2015?

1EagleDad

5-Year Member
DS had wanted to go to AFA...but decided in early 2010 to just try for an appointment to the USCGA after a visit to CGA and considering the mission of both services.

New AFA ALO in the area is now calling and he wants to get DS to start the process. I think that it's too late now and possibly a waste of time. Would there be any nominations left? We are in the Cincinnati area. At this point everything (letters, essays, DODMERB Physical and PFE) have been turned in to the USCGA admissions and we are patiently waiting for a BFE.

AFA had sent him a letter in April 2010 stating that the 25 on the ACT was too low for them and that pretty much killed his hopes. It obviously doesnt matter about his other resume items as they must have had a low cut-off on the ACT...we understand this and accept it. No problem.

New ALO told him yesterday that if he submits paperwork and his resume that they could possibly use those to help bypass the 25 on the ACT. OK, but is this practical now? Early September maybe...but Late November?

Please give us some advice here as we all know that it is a very time consuming and arduous process to get accepted into the AFA, and that if accepted is well worth every bit of energy to complete, but if it is a exercise in futility at this point we'd rather see him enjoy his Senior year.

All in all, he would choose the USCGA over the AFA if he would get a BFE.

Why would the ALO be trying to get someone started so late? Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance and advice.

What congressional district do you live in?

[EDIT] Also, has your son taken the ACT/SAT since April?

Last edited:
Almost all MOCs had nomination application due dates in early October, so if he has not already applied, then I would guess there is not very much you can do besides apply for the VP nom

I believe it's the 1st District.

Newly Elected Rep Steve Chabot
Ousted Steve Driehaus

EagleDad...

PM me please.

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

You probably have gotten a good answer from flieger83 by now, but each moc has their own due dates. Son had one due Nov.1 last year, but both senators were not due until Jan. 1. So that depends on your moc. If alo is encouraging your son, there must be a reason. Would only note that the ACT appears to be a bit low, expecially if math, science, or reading section score is below 24. good luck.

Buffalo,

Thank you...I hope you received my PM back to you. I'm new here and I hope that I had responded correctly.

Back