Question about possible LOA

Tailwind Angel

5-Year Member
DS is candidate for USAFA and his package is complete. Admissions counselor from USAFA sent an email saying package was complete and all my son should be waiting on was a nomination, and that the Selections Panel have already reviewed his file. Are we reading too much into this statement, or does that mean they will be sending a LOA at some point? Does this mean they have accepted him (with correspondence to follow)? His status remains the same on the online website - nothing alerting to an impending LOA. Your opinion please? My son is waiting on the MOC nomination boards to make their determinations at this point. Thanks.....I truly enjoy the discourse on this website.

You're definitely reading too much into it. It is exactly what they said. His application is complete. The only thing he is waiting on is a nomination. I assume he has an appointment, if not soon, for his senators and/or representative for a nomination. The review panel has indeed gone through his package. Again, just like they said. IF, they were going to give him an LOA, then that would probably have been done by now. Not that that still can't, but LOA's are VERY FAR AND FEW BETWEEN. Out of the eventual 1300-1400 appointments, only about 100-150 will start with an LOA.

I say START with an LOA, because an LOA is NOT an appointment. All that is saying is: "Your application is one of the BEST of the BEST, and if you get a nomination, passed your DODMRB, and we have obviously already said the rest of your application is good; then we GUARANTEE you an appointment. But in no way should you expect or strive for an LOA. It is extremely rare.

You are now in the same boat it appears as most applicants. Your application is complete.... Your DODMRB is complete..... You are waiting on getting a nomination.... Your application has been reviewed by the board...... And after the nomination is done; should you get one; your application will then be compared to your competition. Remember; initially, you are competing with others in your congressional district. If you don't "Win" that appointment, you are also competing with other throughout your state. If you don't "Win" that appointment, you will be competing with others at the national level. Best of luck to you. Mike....

LOA

My kid got an LOA in the mail last night and the online application reflected that status change today. Was the language in the email "You are virtually assured of an appointment upon receipt of a nomination?" If so that is an LOA.:thumb:

Thank you Christcorp and JMC0759 for the replies. I'm glad to have a dose of reality to prevent overthinking a simple email. No, the email did not have the wording that you mentioned, JMC, but I will say........I'm so excited for your child and your family on your letter! Way to go!! Take care :)

Back