LOA+"Official Candidate" letter

SD Academy Bound

5-Year Member
I have a LOA to USAFA and received a postcard saying I was now an official candidate. What does all this mean?

DS received a card stating he was an "official candidate" once he had received his first nomination (from his MOC).

We received a card from the academy stating my daughter was a "candidate" and that the Congressman nominated her.. Doesn't the Congressman send anything to the house? or does it just depend. I thought we would have heard from him first, letting her know...

I think that a MOC can do whatever they want to with respect to notifying a nominee. DS received a letter from his senator but his congressman personally called him. Perhaps some rely on the SA to make the notification. We really appreciated the Congressman who called.

I remember last year DS had a USAFA LoA and a few weeks later received a postcard saying he was an official candidate. It seemed a little redundant to have an LoA and to get a postcard saying that he was an official candidate. You can probably do a search to look at last year's posts, but I do remember other people saying that they had received the same postcard.

SD Academy Bound, at this point if you have an LoA, basically the only thing you really need to worry about (unless you have additional conditions on your LoA) is the nomination. The postcard, if I remember correctly, is a mere formality.

Back