Vice Presidential Nom

jetset15

5-Year Member
I'm sure this has pretty much already been beaten to death, but I'm a little confused by the Vice Presidential nomination process. I submitted all the materials that are on Biden's page (essay, basic info, etc). However, for letters of rec and transcripts, I got the impression that the Academy would forward to the VP if they deemed me worthy of the nomination. Am I insane for thinking this, or am I on?

However, for letters of rec and transcripts, I got the impression that the Academy would forward to the VP if they deemed me worthy of the nomination. Am I insane for thinking this, or am I on?
While you may well be insane, I think you also have the process reversed. The SAs are not forwarding anything to the VP. He will provide a list to each of them of ALL the candidates that applied for a VP nom. The SAs then select who they want within the number of VP nom openings available. Good luck with you nom and your sanity.:thumb:

I also have a question about the letters of recommendation. It is encouraged but not required to send three letters of recommendation directly to the Academy. Should these be different letters than the ones that are used for the VP nom.? If I remember correctly, the VP page has spaces to submit 5 files for letters, so will those letters be sent to the Academy or are they strictly for the Vice President?

Thanks a ton for the information. Here I was thinking VP Biden would hand-pick me from a stack of thousands (I only wish I was joking :rolleyes:)

As of five minutes ago, I'm not seeing any spaces to upload letters of rec... It just says to send all recs directly to the Military Academies and doesn't say I need five (I sent three besides the teacher evaluations).

When my son completed the online VP nomination form (Sept./early Oct I think?) there were 5 spaces to submit letters of recommendation directly to VP site. At some point last fall that changed and you couldn't submit them on the VP site anymore. Now the website says
"In view of this screening by the academies, it is important that all correspondence subsequent to actual application (e.g., letters of recommendation, high school and college transcripts and ACT/SAT examination results) be forwarded directly to the academy when requested. Do not send this information directly to the Vice President." Honestly, I was surprised that the VP office would have ever wanted all those letters of recommendation.

When my son completed the online VP nomination form (Sept./early Oct I think?) there were 5 spaces to submit letters of recommendation directly to VP site.
That's what it said for my son also. After determining that nobody in the VP's office was going to read them we just submitted one (just enough to complete the form). I still think the chances of receiving a VP nom is like playing the lottery but it does demonstrate commitment to pursuing all possible nioms. So my son crossed the Ts and dotted the Is and submitted the VP nom request.

The VP nom is there really for the AFA to get that one candidate in where no other nom works to get them in. Remember, it is a giant jig saw puzzle, just because you get a nom from your MOC, it is not necessarily true that they will charge you to that source. The nom gets you in for an apptmt, from there they also can use other sources at their discretion i.e. Supe.

By not applying for the VP it ties their hands if that is the only one left.

I have been here for several yrs., and I know of 2 posters that were awarded the VP. Both were alerted of being charged to the VP in the May/June time frame after the March Mass Mailing. So, to me that says they wait on it to let the dust settle and then charge the VP spot.

If I recall correctly, also both came off the NWL. Won't swear by it, but that is how my pea sized brain recalls it.

Back