Need advice for DD

lovethenavy

5-Year Member
Some of you probably think I am on the wrong thread!:eek: (Hope my DS who is at USNA doesn't get wind of this. :smile: )My daugher, who is a highschool sophmore, is talking about the Airforce Academy. Could you tell me what your thoughts are on the basic things she would need to consider if she wanted to go to the Airforce, vs. Naval Academy? (if she would be lucky enough to be considered for either-dont want to put the cart before the horse.) Our only experience has been the USNA up until now. We would be proud to have her serve at either academy that is the right one for her. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also, forgot to add...do other SA parents have sons and daughter serving at more than one academies?

First off as a parent of a USNA Mid, the AFA is not very different when it comes to the AFA.

SAs are all the same highest WCS on a slate wins.

All SA's want the well rounded candidate.

do other SA parents have sons and daughter serving at more than one academies?

That made me chuckle.

There are parents on here who served in one branch an their child is now attempting to enter another branch.

Our very good friend is an AFA grad, his son is a mid at USNA, in bagpipe and drums, they fly out for every home game that fits in their schedule(Dad is a United pilot), but yet he tells his DS constantly, at least the AFA doesn't wear skirts! Now if you or I slammed the USNA he would ream us, but that's just how it works.

There are family members that serve in other branches, and just like siblings they love to egg each other on. I know at least 3 posters here who have children in different branches or 1 is at an SA and the other ROTC.

In the end there is a common bond of serving the nation and nobody cares if you are in the AF, Navy, Army, Marines or CG. It is all about the fact that you are willing to defend this country,

BTW you are a head of the game compared to any other sophomore because you understand how the WCS works. You understand that the rigor of her curriculum matters, and that she can't just be the 4.0 gpa student without ECS. Or that her CFA is going to count.

Your experience as a parent who lived it with your other child will be able to guide her.

I do not know if your DS went through SLS, but I would advise you to have her apply for that next yr.

Simply put: The Air force is the BEST OF THEM ALL!!!

:groupwave:

Do you expect an Air Force member on an Air Force forum to say any differently? LOL!!!!

But honestly; PIMA said it pretty well. Academically; they are all "THE BEST" and very similar. The difference is: Totally different lifestyles and missions. Your child needs to look at what S/He wants to do with their lives "AFTER GRADUATION". Which service do they want to serve. That's what it boils down to. Not whether one is "Better" than another. It's which one do you want to serve in. The academy is just 4 years. It's the other 5-20+ years that you need to make your decision based on.

I forgot to say just wait until she is at the AFA and he is still at the USNA and they play each other in football!

Or they both get the 35!

OMG is not the words that will come out out of your mouth..It will be OMFG can you just kill me now so I don't hear them arguing anymore about who is better:shake::shake::shake::shake:

Trust me you need to pick up a glass of wine (SHOT of WEED in CC's case) and just sit back. The two of them will make you laugh your arse off on how they will just go after each other.

USNA and AFA are like Tom and Jerry cartoons.

:yllol: Thanks Pima! I am having a good laugh about it. It would be something to look forward to. Going to get a glass of wine and think about it!

We have an ALO in my state...well, he retired a year or so ago...

BUT...

He has 3 kids at USAFA and 1 at USMA.

VERY interesting times there!

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

Well, son #1 is at USAFA and son #2 got his appointment to USNA over break so we may get a chance to find out! :wink:

Add in that DH and I went to West Point and that makes it even more interesting! :biggrin:

A little off topic, but Marciemi, your story reminded me of a Thanksgiving with Bullet's family.

All of the children are republicans, but his folks are staunch dems.

My MIL turns to my FIL and asks how they managed to raise 3 republicans.

My BIL turns to her without missing a beat and said, because we are all smarter than you two!

AWKWARD SILENCE as we all silently chuckled in our craniums.

I am sure if you asked your DH how you managed to raise 2 children that are going over to the dark sides, they would probably give a response like that.

When Bullet went to CGSC as an AF officer, he got constantly teased about being in the corporate branch. His pat response to them would always be "that is because I have chosen wisely" (Indiana Jones)

That is the great thing about having family members serving in different branches you never run out of ammunition from a comical perspective.

Thanks Pima - my son said that when he was on his CVW they were asking any of the candidates if they had family in the military. He said his brother was at USAFA and said the mids laughed and told him "Well, as long as it's not West Point!" :wink: To which of course he replied "Well, actually...." :biggrin:

We're just concerned that we're pretty much failures as MALO's/FFR's for West Point if we can't even convince our OWN kids which academy to attend!

We're just concerned that we're pretty much failures as MALO's/FFR's for West Point if we can't even convince our OWN kids which academy to attend!
Possibly. However, the fact that your children felt comfortable choosing their own paths may indicate that you are successful parents.:thumb:

Marcie,

The real problem you face is who do you root for when the AFA plays against USNA or USNA plays against Army.

Now to me, if that is the only problem, life is good!

Congrats to your kids, and like Ag stated you must be doing something right if they both not only get into SAs, but are willing to serve this great nation.

The real problem you face is who do you root for when the AFA plays against USNA or USNA plays against Army.

Well, actually I figure it has to be win/win - we get to be happy no matter WHO wins! :wink:

Honestly though, son #2 still isn't sure what his options/choices are at this point so it's definitely not a done deal yet. Would be neat from our perspective, but obviously has to come down to his decision. We'll keep you posted! :thumb:

I get that, our DS as a military brat actually decided to go ROTC because he just wanted for a few yrs to be a civilian.

It has always been his goal to serve 20 yrs in the AF since he was in 4th grade. He decided @ this time 3 yrs ago that he wanted to taste the real world, but still be in the AF, and that only left him with the ROTC route.

We were very proud of his decision, and still are because it took a lot for an 18 yo with 4 noms to walk away and say give it to someone else who wants to be there more than me. He walked away a month before the AFA closed their files.

Honestly, as obscene as this sounds, we were relieved. He could have made it through, but with everyday we questioned ourselves as parents if he was going there for us or for him?

In the end when we sat him down and asked him why the AFA, we probably did call the ball for him. We heard things like UPT chances compared to AFROTC and free education...we didn't hear because I want to experience the AFA or get a degree in engineering,

To us free education or UPT was not good enough when he was also offered free education and an internship on the Hill in a major he loved.

3 yrs later he is a thriving AFROTC cadet who interned on the Hill for a Senator and has enjoyed being a kid attending football/basketball games. He is now anxiously awaiting his AFSC and biting at the bit to be an AD AF officer ready to serve for the next 2 decades. I am not sure if he went to the AFA if that would be true for him.

You always need to remove the allure of the SA and be honest about the motivation of attending.

UPT isn't enough IMHPO, AFA life is enough!

Back