questions about the academic majors

ski_addict29

5-Year Member
So I was looking at the majors for USAFA and I was kinda curious about them. So I figured if someone was looking to do a career toward science they would do maybe physics, biology, or chemistry. The political science and behavior science majors also interested me. What kind of career would someone be able to have if they chose one of those majors?

Depends what you mean "Career". There are officers in the military that wind up being commanders, and they had a history, english, or art major. You shouldn't look at majors and then try and decide on a career path. You should look at "What do I want to be when I grow up"; and then decide on the major to help you do that. I.e. If you're interested in working in the OSI, Law Enforcement, Security, etc... You might look at majors that deal in criminal justice leanings. If you want to get into satellites, communications, technology, etc... you might look at majors in electronics, electrical engineering, information technology, etc... First decide on your career goals; to the best of your ability; then aim that towards an appropriate major. Not the other way around.

Two factors to weigh heavily:
1. What do you enjoy? If you like your major, you will likely get a higher GPA. Higher GPA helps you get ranked higher for AFSC selection. That means you are more likely to get your first choice for AFSC.
2. Does your dream career require/highly like certain majors? If you want to be a Test Pilot, don't be a history major. Some AFSCs and specific programs require certain degrees.

Ahh see thats where I am conflicted. I love science but I am also super into government and politics. So I could see myself in some sort of justice career or an engineering career. Biology and government are definately my favorites though.

Skier, you may find out that you feel 100% differently about every subject after a year at USAFA. It does happen.

Back