Boys' State - My school doesn't nominate people

USMA2016

Appointee - Class of 2016
5-Year Member
So, if my school doesn't nominate people to Boys' State, how should I go about applying. BTW I've already started contacting people in the American Legion chain-of-command. Is there anything else I could do?

Considering the legion is who normally sponsors it, that is the best place to ask. Ask them what your options are for attending if your school doesn't nominate individuals. Ask them if there's a process for individuals who may have gone to private schools or were home schooled. They have the answer, and you already are pursuing the correct source. Good luck to you.

My DS is homeschooled. He contacted the local American Legion hall and they were excited to sponsor him. When you contact them make sure you tell them that you intend to apply to a Service Academy. That will increase their interest.

I thought you just had to get a recommendation from a teacher/principal etc? Then send it on to your local post or whatever?

DS attended it last summer in New Jersey and had a GREAT time! He called up his Legion as well and said he wanted to go. They interivewed him and were so happy to have him represent the area since he is an Eagle Scout! DS came back very tired and slept for an entire day!

Our homeschooled son also contacted the local American Legion and they were thrilled with the possibility of sponsoring him. Unfortunately, the dates conflicted with another very important event that DS needed to attend.

I also had a major conflict get in the way of Boy's State. Those darn once in a lifetime hawaiian vacations. Hopefully it carries some weight that I was at least nominated.

Back