Nominations

lone survivor

5-Year Member
I'll be a senior and am applying to USAFA. If my dad was in the military (major in the army), do I have access to someone else besides my representative, both senators, and VP to receive my nomination?

Only if he's retired from the military, or still active/reserve with more than 8 years in. If he just did one or two tours and got out, then no. Nothing extra.

Considering he's a major, and I'm assuming he's not a doctor or a lawyer, then yes he probably has more than eight years in, and so yes, you can get a military-affiliated nomination.

Considering he's a major, and I'm assuming he's not a doctor or a lawyer, then yes he probably has more than eight years in, and so yes, you can get a military-affiliated nomination.

Incorrect.

Go back and re-read what Chrsitcorp correctly posted.

A parent who served in the military for 8 years does NOT qualify you for a Presidential nomination.

The "8 year" service requirement only applies to active duty parents or those currently serving in the reserves.

Otherwise, serving 8 years means nothing as far as qualification for a Presidential nom.

Unless his father retired with pay as a major, he is not eligible.

Sorry, he is retired and was in the military for 10 years. If I can get a nomination, who would it be from?

Sorry, he is retired and was in the military for 10 years. If I can get a nomination, who would it be from?

Unless he is retired from the military (usually after 20 years of service), has been awarded the CMOH, was a prisoner of war, is 100% disabled from wounds received while on active duty, or you are a member of a JROTC/ROTC unit, you are not eligible for any service/military affiliated nomination.

You are, however (as everyone is) eligible to apply for a nomination from your 2 US Senators, your US Congressman from your voting district, and the Vice President of the United States.

Back