Freshman Year

rubio1996

5-Year Member
I'm about to enter my sophomore year at a top college preparatory school in my area. I recently got my final freshman year report card. My final GPA was a 3.0 (I don't know whether this is weighted or unweighted). I took two honors classes, Geometry Honors and Chemistry Honors. The Chemistry Honors course in my school is usually taken by strong students in their junior year, and the Geometry Honors course is usually taken by strong students in their freshman or sophomore year. My final grades were a C- in Geometry Honors, an A+ in Concert Band, a C in Chemistry Honors, an A- in Multimedia Design, a B- in English I, a B- in Spanish I, and an A- in Foundations of Civilizations. The classes I will most likely be taking next year are Biology (Honors or Regular), Algebra II, Concert Band, English II, Spanish II (Honors or Regular), and World History AP. Looking at my academics, what should I do to improve, so I can gain a nomination and offer of admission to the U.S. Air Force Academy?

I had two unsuccessful campaigns for ninth grade class vice president and school treasurer, but I was elected class alternate representative for the ninth grade class. Over the course of my freshman year, I had over 50 community service hours, which earned me Community Service Honors. I was also a member of my church's youth group. I was cast in my school's spring drama production. Also, I wrote a play and performed a different play for a school drama festival, which had to be written, performed, practiced, and directed within 24 hours of receiving the topic for the play. Looking at my extracurricular activities, what should I do to improve, so I can gain a nomination and offer of admission to the U.S. Air Force Academy?

I did not participate in my school's athletic program in my freshman year, as I was focusing on my academics during the transition from a small Catholic middle school to a rigorous college preparatory school. I plan on playing three sports in my sophomore year. Assuming I do everything else correctly for nomination and admission, which sports should I play (assume that I do not have any experience in any of these sports)? These are my options for sports in high school (I may choose one for each season):

Fall Sports:

Cross Country
Soccer

Winter Sports:

Basketball
Wrestling
Swimming

Spring Sports:

Tennis
Lacrosse
Baseball
Golf

Thank you.

The first thing I would do would be to improve Math and Science skills (and grades). Get a tutor?

Secondly, as for sports , I assume you are going into the 10th grade, age 15 or so, and you have not yet participated in organized sports? At this juncture, I might be more tempted to go into a year-round sport not related to school. For instance, karate (or similar martial art), fencing , or other club sport might be a better avenue at this point. I assume you work out on your own?

You seem to have an interest in theatre/drama and I think that might be a good thing for you.

Oh, I have played some organized school sports before, just not in my freshman year. I just wanted an opinion that assumed that I would have equal strengths in every sport to see which one would be best to play next year.

It's not just a question of "I'll play water polo in 10th grade, then run track as a junior." It might be that you haven't focused in on any one sport, on any one team. Team work is a big deal at AFA, not a deal breaker, but important.

Like fencersmother said, definitely focus on grades from here on out. Its impt. Math and sciences are a big focus at the Academy (being an engineering school) so they want to see you can handle those at the HS level. No matter your major, you will take Calculus, Chemistry etc. at the Academy.

Two points regarding sports--first, since you need to focus on getting your grades up, don't feel you have to play sports all 3 seasons--that can be very challenging. My son (now at the Academy) ran cross country (fall) and track (spring), and only did off-season training in the winter which isn't as demanding schedule-wise. I think consistent participation (meaning the same sport for 3 or 4 years in HS) showing advancement, etc. will be better than picking up 3 new sports just so you have something on your resume. Its quality not quantity. If you played baseball for example before your freshman year, then maybe you should continue that. Then you could explain that you gave it up your freshman year to make the adjustment to a new school, but you wanted to get back into it your soph. year. When you have your ALO interview, the gap will come up--you need to think about how to answer it.

Second, you should be picking sports to play because you enjoy them and can fully participate and hopefully become a captain by senior year, not because someone is telling you it gives you an edge at the Academy. A team sport is impt. because it shows teamwork, you have the chance to show leadership by becoming a captain, etc. But like any activity on your resume, it should be something you are interested in. Your future ALO will probably be pretty adept at picking out what truly interests you and what is just a line on your resume.

Concerning other extra curriculars, continue with ones you've already started--student gov't, church youth group, etc. Look for ways to take on leadership positions within what you are already doing. Again, consistency in activities is better than skipping from activity to activity. You can add something if you want (and have time and can handle it while keeping grades up) but don't necessarily give up all your other things.

Back