Sports predicament... what would be best for application?

kfacademy

USMA Appointee 2017
5-Year Member
I know that I have good enough academics and leadership to be competitive so physical is the one area I am worried about. I am working very hard to get the CFA scores to where they need to be but I am wondering what to do for sports.

I go to a small school so I can play any sports with out tryout.

In 9, 10 grade I did Cross Country in the fall season.

In 11 grade I played both Volleyball and Cross Country in the fall season.

For 12 grade I need to choose between vball and cc because playing both the same season was far too difficult last year. Volleyball I would be up for a captainship position. Cross Country I could also have a co-captainship position if I chose. In cross country I got an all-league award this year (similar to lettering) which I probably wont get in volleyball. I do enjoy both but cross country more so. I read though that the academies look more highly on team sports... so which would be better?

Then I come to the winter and spring sports. I really wish I had had enough sense to play in past years but nope. In the winter I could do basketball and in the spring softball. I will definitely play softball but I am not really a big fan of basketball and I am usually very busy with mock trial in the winter. Could I leave basketball off and still have enough sports to be competitive?

One final question. My favorite "sport" is rock climbing. That is why I didnt do softball in past years was to put my time into going to the climbing gym. Sadly there is no team for that, just me going climbing, so is there any way to display this because this is really what I like to do but it is nothing formal.

THANKS A MILLION :thumb:

Sorry, but you're going to hear this a lot.

Make up your own mind.

No one sport is more important than another. I will say however, that when the academy is looking at sports (Athletics), they are looking for "TEAM" sports. Remember, the military is 100% all about "Team Work". So rock climbing becomes a "Hobby", not a sport.

Other than that, it's up to you to pick what sport(s) you want to participate in. There are no special points for football compared to cross country. (Not unless you're trying to be a recruited athlete to play at the college level; then you simply want to be one of the best). So pick what you like; do your best at it; TRY and get leadership in it. e.g. captain. And have fun. But stop thinking that there's some magical check list that certain things give you more points than others. It doesn't work that way. Football equals baseball equals soccer equals cross country equals basketball equals hockey equals lacrosse equals track equals etc.... Just like boy/girls scouts isn't automatic points, neither is civil air patrol or JrROTC. The academy wants well rounded individuals applying to the academy. That means taking the hardest classes available, and excelling in them. It means belonging to groups, clubs, sports, teams, etc... It means leadership positions in those activities; boy/girl state; class officer; club officer; etc... It means having volunteer time to help others. You get the message. Play the sport you like/want. Not what you think will get you more points for the academy. It doesn't work that way. best of luck. mike....

Good advice from Christcorp. Here's just a couple more thoughts. If you haven't played basketball already, I wouldn't do it senior year just so you can put it on your resume. It will be an obvious filler--you would be better off maximizing activities you've already been involved in (mock trial for example) and taking on leadership positions within those (captain positions, coordinating a volunteer project at your church, etc.--just examples--there are many things you could do). And for softball, since its in the spring, honestly your application, interviews, etc. will already be complete before that begins so other than saying you're going to play, its not really going to do much for you. Personally, I would continue cross country since you've done it all 4 years (continuity is good) and definitely become a captain if possible. Even though most people think its an individual sport, there is a team aspect to it in the scoring as well as strategy (running as a pack etc.). My son (currently at the AFA in basic training) ran cross country and track, and didn't have a winter sport per se--just did off-season training. And lastly, even though rock climbing is just a hobby, work it into your resume. There is a physical aspect to it. Are you also belay certified? (I think that's the term). After my son became certified, he taught others (leadership aspect). Just my thoughts, but CC is correct--you have to make the final decisions!

Thank you both for the great responses. It's good to hear that the academy is a little more realistic in that the "rounded" people they are looking for may specialize in one area and that's ok. Just be true to myself... thats something I can do well! :shake:I suppose also that as long as I pass and do well on the CFA just having one strong sport will look fine. Good luck to all the other applicants!

Back