USAFA Uniform Question?

madi1131

5-Year Member
Are you required to wear (any) uniform on leave or off-campus? As a freshman. And if so, just the ABU's?
Also, will attending a Summer Seminar increase my chances of getting accepted? I am afraid that a trip I have already planned for next summer ,around June, may interfere and I do not want to miss my chance of attending USAFA?

As far as I know, all doolies are required to wear their uniforms (not PT outfits or ABUs) w/in 150 miles of the Academy. That's how it was when my kids were doolies, and now that they are Firsties, be prepared you SMACKS. ;)

What about on leave for Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.? I heard something about wearing it on the trip home? Which for me is an airplane ride, or two.

This is the only time I will probably say I can't wait until I am a Doolie! :biggrin:

You have to wear service dress when you leave the academy. However, you can wear special gear for activities that need it like skiing. You have to wear service dress on your way to and back from home on leave, but once you reach home or wherever your destination is you can wear regular clothes. These rules only apply until you are recognized. Once you are recognized then you can where whatever you want when you leave. As far as your trip goes, I would go ahead and plan it and just request to have SS for when you will be home from your trip.

Uniforms

During your freshman year, until Recognition (in March), you're required to wear your uniform whenever out in public withing 150 miles of the Academy, or when traveling to and from home (e.g. flying). Once home, you can wear whatever you want. If staying in a hotel in the Springs or Denver (for example, with your family during Parents' Weekend), you can be in PT uniform when going to or from the pool area, otherwise you must be in your dress blues outside of your hotel room. As for summer seminar, it has no bearing on your application. It just gives an applicant a good opportunity to get a feel for the campus and what life at the Academy may be like. Our son went to SS and enjoyed the experience, but we know a LOT of current cadets who didn't attend SS.

Summer Seminar will not increase your chances of getting appointed nor decrease your chance if you don't go. Its just another activity and won't give you "bonus" points for attending. There are 3 weeks of Summer Seminars (each Mon. thru Fri.), beginning at the end of May and finishing before the week that BCT begins--maybe one of the earlier weeks will work for you.

I remember seeing doolies in the class of 2013 when my kids were C3C, in the hotel restaurant in their PT outfits. All the 3rd class cadets were taking names and "speaking" to the doolies. It was funny to watch them as C2C, since they were further out of BCT and not as interested in correcting new doolies.

Yeah, I remember being out on parent's weekend and seeing 4digs in PT gear. They just got the "You are stupid, and breaking the rules in an obvious way" glare from me.

In a little twist, last night we met my son at the airport and who's the first guy off the plane? A cadet, wearing a flight suit! While he was awaiting his luggage, my cadet and I were standing next to him and I asked him if he was short on time or something and didn't have time to change into civvies. Turns out this C2C always wears his flight suit when flying commercial now so that if anyone gets bumped to first class, he'll be noticed first.

A flight suit? really?

Wow. :thumbdown:

Not only is he breaking USAFA regs by doing that, he also violates AF regs by accepting the first class bump.

During your freshman year, until Recognition (in March), you're required to wear your uniform whenever out in public withing 150 miles of the Academy, or when traveling to and from home (e.g. flying). Once home, you can wear whatever you want. If staying in a hotel in the Springs or Denver (for example, with your family during Parents' Weekend), you can be in PT uniform when going to or from the pool area, otherwise you must be in your dress blues outside of your hotel room. As for summer seminar, it has no bearing on your application. It just gives an applicant a good opportunity to get a feel for the campus and what life at the Academy may be like. Our son went to SS and enjoyed the experience, but we know a LOT of current cadets who didn't attend SS.

Ok this thread got me thinking… what about the kids that go to the AFA that live in the Springs? They are within 150 miles of the AFA during the holidays by reg they would be required to wear dress blues. Common sense tells me that they could wear what they want during this time but the thread got me curious.

no... if you ever see someone in uniform sitting in first class they are breaking the rules

There are a few governing regs. One is the DoD ethics reg, which states:

DoD 5500.7 said:
On the Spot Upgrades. DoD employees may accept an upgrade offered on the spot under circumstances in which such upgrades are generally available to the public or at least to all Federal Government employees or all military members. For example, a travel company may provide upgrades to remedy overbooking or overcrowding, due to a shortage of smaller cars, or simply for customer relation purposes; or upgrades may be offered to all military members in uniform. No upgrade may be accepted, however, if it is provided on the basis of the DoD employee's grade or position. Upgrades resulting from involuntary "bumping" while on official travel may not be used for personal travel. See 5 C.F.R. 2635.202(a)(2) (reference (h)) in subsection 2 100 of this Regulation;

However, AFI 36-2903 states:
Air Force personnel may not wear their military uniforms when using frequent flyer miles to upgrade to business or first class. Thus, even when an upgrade to business or first class accommodations is legitimate, military personnel should avoid wearing the uniform to avoid the public perception of the misuse of government travel resources, which generates unnecessary complaints.

So, technically, the DoD allows it. The AF prohibits using frequent flyer mile upgrades in uniform, and discourages accepting upgrades in uniform (note the use of "should" rather than "Shall," "Will," or "may not").

The best solution, regs wise, is to politely decline if possible.

But it's ok if in civvies to accept the bump, even if they know you're a cadet or otherwise military?

Yes, that would be the DoD reg part. Accepting an upgrade out of uniform is ok, as long as the DoD policy is met (i.e. don't scam an upgrade).

So I understand that events requiring special clothing will not require a uniform. What about golf? Pretty impractical to play in blues--so would son be able to play with Dad over Parents' Weekend wearing a polo and shorts? Would he need to wear a uniform to the course?

He would wear the PT uniform (shorts and T-shirt). Also, to address the question of living within 150 miles, they are allowed to wear whatever they want when they are on leave status, just not in transit.

Thanks for all the info, guys, and especially for those citations, Raimius.

Back