What happens when they return from Jacks Valley?

falconfamily

5-Year Member
I notice that the 2015 Basics return from Jacks Valley on the 23rd, that means that they have a week before the end of BCT (the 30th). I assume that they have to clean their field gear up and start turning their BCT gear in, but what else do they do? Also, there are 3 days of what is described as transition, is this moving from Vandenberg to their academic year dorms? do they have any time to themselves? i.e. I wanted my DS to go to the Peak Performance folks and get some guidance about study habits and stress management before school starts. Any info and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

what you think happens that last week, is pretty much correct. The last few days of BCT is pretty much like the beginning, except not as stressful. They end on Saturday. They then transition into their new squadron/rooms. They are issued their laptops. Then, they use the last couple days to get all their books and classes scheduled. No, they don't have any real time to themselves. And don't worry about your cadet learning study habits, stress, etc... Every cadet is given a lot of training on making it. Once school starts, if they have issues, they'll have resources to help them. Remember; the academy has been doing this for more than half a century. More than 50,000 individuals have been through this. They have to pretty well planned out. There is nothing special or unique about these individual cadets. "Except in the minds of us Dads and Moms". LOL. The academy has a handle on this. mike....

Thanks Mike. The deal with study habits and such is that this is a kid who breezed through things in HS, I think that sort of stuff might get him in trouble at USAFA. He is also an IC (your DS played football - yes?), that is another challenge with time management and study habits. How was it like for your DS?

Yep, that's about how things go.

Almost every cadet breezed through most of their classes (except maybe some of the AP/IB ones). There are a lot of ICs.
Don't worry about study habits yet. Cadets have LOTS of resources and advisers.

There's enough time for even the IC's to get their academics taken care of. If they can't, trust me, the coach will "Take Care of It" (Not it a good way for the player/cadet). But FWIW: During the season, when players are on the road, they have academic assistance if they need it. It does take more time management when you're an IC, but it's done all the time. Just FYI: Not bragging, but the first 2 semesters (c4c year), during the season and spring practice season, my son was still able to pull off a 4.0gpa for both semesters. So it definitely can be done. Just get good at time management.

Back