Flying/skydiving at the Academy

fly boy

5-Year Member
I know that USAFA has both a jump program and flying program, but I was wondering if a cadet is able to participate in both during separate years. Also, when can cadets apply for the Wings of Green and what are the qualifications?

Cadets can participate in either Jump (free-fall parachuting) or Soaring (flying gliders) among other choices during the summer after their 4-degree (freshman) year. The determination of which choice you get is based on your 'wish list' that you fill our during your freshman year and your rankings within your class. There are only so many slots for each class, so the higher you rank, the better chance you have. Our son didn't get his first choice of Jump and ended up doing Soaring instead.

If you don't get your first choice, there are other times while you are at the Academy that you can fit in another choice as an elective class. Our son was able to do Jump in his senior year because he was able to fit it into his class schedule. He was also able to do Powered Flight (flying the T-52As) during his senior year.

In order to be selected for Wings of Green, you must do Jump after freshman year, and be selected by the cadre based on your jumps and application.

Stealth_81

My C3C son got to do Jump this summer for his 3rd period. When he got his schedule for this fall semester, he was surpised to see that they put him in Soaring without him requesting for it. He thought of cancelling it but decided otherwise and said that he might as well enjoy the gliders.

Back