More questions

Jap468

5-Year Member
I found this on the ALO website on the thread that was pinned.
To be competitive for an Air Force Academy appointment, we recommend you complete a minimum of the following high school courses:

Four years of English
Four years of college-prep math
Four years of laboratory sciences
Three years of social studies
Two years of foreign language
One year of computer science

For a computer science course does an "Intro to Computer Info Systems" or a "Java Programming" class taken at a community college count for this? I go to a Middle College High School so credits are transferred over.

Also, does the Air Force Academy use the weighted or unweighted GPA for applicant's academic criteria?

I recall reading somewhere that you should contact your ALO as soon as possible, so would I just send an Email giving a notification that I will be applying to the Air Force Academy in the future?

I am going to join the Civil Air Patrol in a week how much merit does that achieve towards an individual's application?

Thank you an advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

The academy will probably view either of those courses as a computer science course. The straight programming course may be good for understanding the more detailed ideas behind computer logic and programming, but it may wind up going into a lot of details not relevant to the systems the academy uses for its CS classes (I don't know what they currently use). On the other hand, the more generalized course might cover more relevant topics, but in little detail. I would decide which approach you want to take, then go for the appropriate class.

USAFA recalculates candidates' GPA so they can more evenly compare across GPA systems, based on GPA and the profile of the school's courses. I don't know details on that, sorry.

CAP can be a great or mediocre activity. It depends on what you do with it. USAFA does not automatically value it over other programs, like scouting, 4H, etc. If you do a lot in the program (i.e. get rank/awards/leadership experience, etc), that will be more valuable than if you "just showed up."

computer science and more

Unless you are planning on majoring in something like computer engineering/science or other similar major, I would recommend that you take the intro class, not java. The java class would probably go in to much more detail than you need if you do not plan on majoring in a computer based field.

As for the weighted and unweighted GPA's, I believe they look at unweighted and then apply their own weighing system to "level out the field" for students whose school maybe doesn't offer AP classes.

Also, like Raimius, extra preference isn't given to CAP members just because it has to do with flying and the air force. It would, however, benefit you because of the numerous leadership opportunities available.

Also if anybody knows the answer to the ALO question I would be most grateful.

Also if anybody knows the answer to the ALO question I would be most grateful.

Are you currently a Junior / Senior in HS? if you are, then I would definitely send an email to your ALO to introduce yourself. If you don't know who it is, you can use the ALO lookup on the Academy's admissions page.

Remember that they are not full timers in this so it may be a couple of days till you hear from him/her. I think it's a good idea to do so early. We started talking to ours last summer.

Best Regards

Romad

I found this on the ALO website on the thread that was pinned.
To be competitive for an Air Force Academy appointment, we recommend you complete a minimum of the following high school courses:

Four years of English
Four years of college-prep math
Four years of laboratory sciences
Three years of social studies
Two years of foreign language
One year of computer science

For a computer science course does an "Intro to Computer Info Systems" or a "Java Programming" class taken at a community college count for this? I go to a Middle College High School so credits are transferred over.

Also, does the Air Force Academy use the weighted or unweighted GPA for applicant's academic criteria?

I recall reading somewhere that you should contact your ALO as soon as possible, so would I just send an Email giving a notification that I will be applying to the Air Force Academy in the future?

I am going to join the Civil Air Patrol in a week how much merit does that achieve towards an individual's application?

Thank you an advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Hi!

Sorry to be slow responding...

Regarding ALO contact. You are ALWAYS welcome to contact ANY ALO that you wish. The "best" would be the one that services your school. Your guidance counselor should know who it is; if they do not, drop me a PM and let me know your school and town and I'll get you the name.

The ALO won't do "much" at this point because we're all waiting to know who our candidates are. However...we love to know folks that will be applying and always welcome your calls/e-mails!!!

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

Most wonderful and I am going into Junior year well tomorrow actually.

Back