Semester exchange

urbonman6

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Can anyone out there give me some info. about doing a semester exchange to a different service academy? I haven't found anyone in my squad yet who has done an exchange. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I did an exchange to the Naval Academy a few years ago. The basics to know are if you're interested, you need to apply. Squadrons normally send out e-mails near the end of 3 deg year (for fall exchange) and midway through the first semester of 2 deg year (for spring exchange). You write an MFR explaining why you want to go (many people have drafts already, so its not hard). They then select people to interview. After the interviews, they select who goes, and for an entire semester you attend the sister academy (Navy, Army, or Coast Guard). You live at their campus, take their classes, participate in all their training, but still wear your uniform. It's definitely an eye-opening experience, but one of my favorite while at USAFA. If you have more questions on it, let me know.

Would you be able to do two exchanges?
For example, during the C3C or C2C year go to a sister academy then during the C1C year go to an international military college or a foreign civilian college.

I don't think normally you are allowed to. That being said, you can always apply for a waiver. You can only go to a sister academy during 2 deg year.

Personally, I would not want to have missed that much of USAFA. When you only have 8 years at a place, spending 7 semesters away is long enough. Spending 6 is just too much.

Back