Help with acivities/athletics

Julia-Anne

5-Year Member
Hi Everyone!

I'm a sophomore in highschool and I have an interest in applying to a few of the Service Academies, however, USAFA is currently my top choice. I know that in high school, they look for varsity letters and athleticism. I compete in my school's track team, however, I'm on JV with a very slim possibility of moving up. I also am a part of my school's Color Guard, and may do bowling this year. Outside of school I participate in Tae Kwon Do, which I have done for 7 years (almost half of my life), and I have obtained a 2nd Degree Black Belt. Though I do not emphasize in "sparring", I teach others and compete in Poomsae "forms, and also demonstrate self defense and board breaking techniques with my team, along with basic weapons such as Nunchaku. Academically I have a high GPA (about 3.7) which I plan on bring up soon, I take all of the hardest classes I can get. I also participate in a few groups and clubs at my high school, and will be leading a few of them my senior year. My question is, how would this all add up on a USAFA app? Should I do more?

Thanks!

P.S What is the average mile time for a Cadet after BCT?

Sounds like you're on the right track in all areas. :thumb:

Click on the PDF link in my signature block. it's the 2010-2011 Academy brochure. It will give you the "Average" everything for the academy. Incoming gpa, CFA, SAT/ACT, what activities applicants did, etc... Plus everything you want to know about the academy. mike....

Julie-Anne, it sounds like you are really interested in your martial arts. I would pursue that with your obvious passion and make the most of what you can with that sport, even though it is not school sponsored. Go to tournaments, keep up with your teaching/coaching.

Non-school sports are not necessarily second class at USAFA.

Looks good so far. I did Taekwondo for 5 years, achieving my 2nd Degree Black Belt about a week before I-day. The academies do like varsity letters, but they also respect commitment and competition in "other" sports. This is a while up the road, but make sure you emphasize the leadership and competition aspect of taekwondo in your ALO interview. If you can, try to achieve regional, state or higher ranking in forms/weapons. :thumb:

Thanks

Thanks everyone, that information and your opinions have been helpful :) They made me a little less anxious about applying in the next couple of years! Thanks so much!:smile:

Back