ROTC PFA scores and CFA

evilleramsfan

5-Year Member
DS just did a preliminary PFA for his ROTC detachment and scored a 98. He is now trying to increase his pushups (he was just a few shy of maxing out) and his 1.5 mile run should get better before the test (at the end of this month). I can't remember, but does his PFA score get submitted in addition to his CFA? I just found out that when he did his basketball throw last year, the coach had him throw it two-handed overhead and he threw it 53 feet. I am sure that throwing one-handed will produce a much more competitive result...... He is supposed to have a practice CFA soon, so it will be interesting to see how he does...

The PFA and CFA are two different evaluations - the PFA is for the ROTC scholarship application while the CFA is for the Academy application process - they aren't submitted together.

You can submit the PFA and CFA online at their respective application sites - the manner in which they're submitted is different from each other.

You CAN however have your son's USAFA and AFROTC ALO interviews combined if it's difficult to schedule time to see two different ALOs for evaluations. My son did his concurrently after his ROTC and USAFA ALO's coordinated with each other instead of they or he making multiple 200 mile round trips.

Best Regards

Romad

DS is already in ROTC, this was just his PFA for the detachment (he is reapplying after receiving a QNV last year). I know it will be used for ROTC consideration, but I thought someone had mentioned that the academy also takes that score into account when someone in ROTC is applying. I know I have read that there is a separate nomination or appointment consideration for ROTC. (BTW, as an aside....what does one call ROTC members?)

Got me there, I know that the CFA is the only physical eval accepted for high school applicants. It might be different if the nominee is already in ROTC with an ROTC nom. I'm sure someone will chime in with the right answer.

As for title, "ROTC Cadet" I believe - at least that's what they called us back in the old days.

Best

I agree that they only use the CFA, remember there is no BBall or shuttle for the PFT, that is on top of it having a shorter run.

What you may be confusing is who is allowed to administer the test, because it is usually an ALO or a coach, which is unlikely for a college cadet to have. So, they use an instructor.

There is a separate nom, but understand it is like the Presidential, unlimited in the amount on the slate, but limited in the amount that can be charged to it. ROTC noms include both HS JROTC and college ROTC, so the slate can be massive. I don't want to swear my life on it, but I believe only 20 can be charged to ROTC. When you start tallying the size of the pool, you realize why people say apply for it, but apply for all of the other slates too.

If your DS has not talked to his CoC yet about his intention to apply for the AFA, I would suggest he do so now. Traditionally C100's are just faces in the fall because there are so many of them. They do get det jobs, but not everyone does, and he will want to be one that does. The CoC will also have to write a rec for that nom., he will want them to be able to know him, and not write a cookie cutter rec because he only told them his intentions in Dec.

He met the CoC already and has talked to one of the instructors who is a Captain that graduated from the academy. I didn't know if the PFT came into account with the ROTC slates (but based on the numbers you mentioned, my guess is that the PFT scores would likely be perfect or near perfect). He is doing well so far in his classes (all pre-engineering), enjoys ROTC, is working, and is active in outside activities. In short, I think he is doing about all that he can (except for retaking his ACT to try to bump his scores....especially English).

Back