How can I improve my chances of being accepted?

NathanIsaacs

5-Year Member
How can I improve my chances of receiving a congressional nomination/appointment, and being accepted to the academy? I really want to serve my country at the USAFA, but I am concerned that I might be overlooked due to my low ACT scores (25 & 26), and lack of varsity sports. I do however have an exceptional class rank (47/1,027) and weighted GPA (3.75/4.69) as I have taken 5.0 and 6.0 classes each year in high school. I have already began training for my CFA and I plan to take it later it November to ensure I am in top shape, but I'm worried that I will barely meet the mean performance that is listed in the candidate catalog off of the USAFA admissions website. Here is my complete resume:

Athletic Activities:
• Karate (2004-2010)
• Tennis (Recreational)
• Golf (Recreational)
• Began training for the Tulsa Run in mid-2011.
• Worked out daily with the P90x fitness program during my 2011 summer.

School/Non-School Officers:
• President, Union High School Environmental Club (2010-Present). As president of the Union High School Environmental Club it is my responsibility to oversee recycling throughout the school as well as plan and lead the afterschool meetings and events.
• President, Union High School D-FY (Drug-Free Youth, 2008-2011). My responsibilities as president of Drug-Free Youth included leading after school meetings and planning for our various peer influencing activities. My most notable accomplishment while serving as the president of this school organization was creating a PowerPoint to present to the board of education and booster club to raise money for Union’s “I-Care” project. (The “I-Care” project buys and distributes toys to needy children throughout our community during the holiday season)
• Representative, Union High School Student Council (2011-Present). My duty as a Student Council representative includes: attending mandatory school event meetings, informing my student body of upcoming school events, and setting up and cleaning up school events and activities.
• Publicist, Union High School Math Club (2008-2010). As publicist of Math Club is was my job to inform the members of the club of events and upcoming meetings in addition to the advertising campaign that I was leading outside of the club.
• Advertising Manager, Redskins for Christ (2010-Present). While I was the advertising manager of Redskins for Christ I had to work with my advertising team to brainstorm creative advertising techniques to bring in more students to our Christian worship service.
• Leadership Aide, Union High School Activities/Events (2011-Present). As a leadership aide at Union High School it is my duty to assist the leadership students and student life faculty with: Creating and hanging event posters/advertisements, selling candy from our school “candy cart” to raise money for school events, and assisting in daily office tasks as needed in the school’s activities office.

Awards and Honors:
• Member of the National Honor Society (2007-Present).
• After 5 years of martial arts, I received my first degree black belt in 2009.
• Mathematics Achievement Award, awarded annually (2005-Present). The mathematics achievement award is given to a small group of students at Union High School for being at least two years beyond the state’s expectations. I have received this award annually since the 6th grade when I completed advanced mathematics; this year I will be taking a Calculus 2/Differential Equations class to complete my campaign of mathematic achievements.
• Gold Academic Letter Award (2010).
• Received a scholarship to attend the “Smart Cars Academy”, a one week engineering camp for high school students, at Oklahoma State University. At the Smart Cars Academy I learned electrical engineering basics such as binary code, programming, and neural network mapping.
• AP Scholar Award with Honor (2011). I received this award from the National AP program for receiving an average score of at least 3.25 on all of my AP exams taken, in addition to scoring at least a 3 on four or more exams.

Music Participation:
• 1st Violin, Union Public Schools Orchestra (2005-2010).

Other High School/Community Activities:
• Member of Tulsa Astronomy Club (2007-2010).
• Member of EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association).
• Member of Young Eagles aviation program.
• Member Union High School “Teepee Crew” (2010-Present).
• Member of Union Academic Team (2007-2008).
• Member of school church groups: Redskins for Christ, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. (2004-Present).
• Have done multiple community service projects with “Up with Trees”.
• Red Cross blood donor.

Senior Year Schedule:
• AP Human Geography
• Calculus 3/Differential Equations
• AP Statistics
• Leadership Aide
• AP Chemistry
• AP Literature

Basically I am wondering, should I be worried about not being up to par on my test scores and athletics, and will my academic record and leadership experience make up for a low CFA score? I was also wondering if there is anyway I can improve my application to remain a competitive candidate.

Thank you for your time!

I have a question. You pose your class rank as 47/1027. Is your senior class really that big? Or is the denominator your entire school population? I know schools like that exist, but even in my school of ~3000, only ~560 of them were seniors.

Yes my senior class size is 1000+. My school district covers a very large area inside the city; the district is so large that they have a building for freshman and sophomores, and an additional building for juniors and seniors.

How can I improve my chances of receiving a congressional nomination/appointment, and being accepted to the academy? I really want to serve my country at the USAFA, but I am concerned that I might be overlooked due to my low ACT scores (25 & 26), and lack of varsity sports. I do however have an exceptional class rank (47/1,027) and weighted GPA (3.75/4.69) as I have taken 5.0 and 6.0 classes each year in high school. I have already began training for my CFA and I plan to take it later it November to ensure I am in top shape, but I'm worried that I will barely meet the mean performance that is listed in the candidate catalog off of the USAFA admissions website. Here is my complete resume:

Athletic Activities:
• Karate (2004-2010)
• Tennis (Recreational)
• Golf (Recreational)

School/Non-School Officers:
• President, Union High School Environmental Club (2010-Present). As president of the Union High School Environmental Club it is my responsibility to oversee recycling throughout the school as well as plan and lead the afterschool meetings and events.
• President, Union High School D-FY (Drug-Free Youth, 2008-2011). My responsibilities as president of Drug-Free Youth included leading after school meetings and planning for our various peer influencing activities. My most notable accomplishment while serving as the president of this school organization was creating a PowerPoint to present to the board of education and booster club to raise money for Union’s “I-Care” project. (The “I-Care” project buys and distributes toys to needy children throughout our community during the holiday season)
• Representative, Union High School Student Council (2011-Present). My duty as a Student Council representative includes: attending mandatory school event meetings, informing my student body of upcoming school events, and setting up and cleaning up school events and activities.
• Publicist, Union High School Math Club (2008-2010). As publicist of Math Club is was my job to inform the members of the club of events and upcoming meetings in addition to the advertising campaign that I was leading outside of the club.
• Advertising Manager, Redskins for Christ (2010-Present). While I was the advertising manager of Redskins for Christ I had to work with my advertising team to brainstorm creative advertising techniques to bring in more students to our Christian worship service.
• Leadership Aide, Union High School Activities/Events (2011-Present). As a leadership aide at Union High School it is my duty to assist the leadership students and student life faculty with: Creating and hanging event posters/advertisements, selling candy from our school “candy cart” to raise money for school events, and assisting in daily office tasks as needed in the school’s activities office.

Awards and Honors:
• Member of the National Honor Society (2007-Present).
• After 5 years of martial arts, I received my first degree black belt in 2009.
• Mathematics Achievement Award, awarded annually (2005-Present). The mathematics achievement award is given to a small group of students at Union High School for being at least two years beyond the state’s expectations. I have received this award annually since the 6th grade when I completed advanced mathematics; this year I will be taking a Calculus 2/Differential Equations class to complete my campaign of mathematic achievements.
• Gold Academic Letter Award (2010).
• Received a scholarship to attend the “Smart Cars Academy”, a one week engineering camp for high school students, at Oklahoma State University. At the Smart Cars Academy I learned electrical engineering basics such as binary code, programming, and neural network mapping.
• AP Scholar Award with Honor (2011). I received this award from the National AP program for receiving an average score of at least 3.25 on all of my AP exams taken, in addition to scoring at least a 3 on four or more exams.

Music Participation:
• 1st Violin, Union Public Schools Orchestra (2005-2010).

Other High School/Community Activities:
• Member of Tulsa Astronomy Club (2007-2010).
• Member of EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association).
• Member of Young Eagles aviation program.
• Member Union High School “Teepee Crew” (2010-Present).
• Member of Union Academic Team (2007-2008).
• Member of school church groups: Redskins for Christ, and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. (2004-Present).
• Have done multiple community service projects with “Up with Trees”.
• Red Cross blood donor.

Senior Year Schedule:
• AP Human Geography
• Calculus 3/Differential Equations
• AP Statistics
• Leadership Aide
• AP Chemistry
• AP Literature

Basically I am wondering, should I be worried about not being up to par on my test scores and athletics, and will my academic record and leadership experience make up for a low CFA score? I was also wondering if there is anyway I can improve my application to remain a competitive candidate.

Thank you for your time!

Your resume is quite impressive. I would, however, recommend retaking the ACT and trying the SAT. There are many review books out there. My DS used the Princeton Review, the Baron's, and the one from ACT to improve his scores. Also, I would recommend highlighting your Karate experience with your ALO and on your application. Perhaps you could coach younger kids at the Karate school. Best of luck to you.

The ACT scores really need to come up...Don't forget they will superscore your ACT scores, taking only the highest scores you get.. So retake plenty of times. Also,, I don't see any school sports.. Being a team Captain on a team sport really will help your resume, and they will look for it... It's good you are doing the other sports but school participation in organized sports I feel is really important. 80+ percent of cadets have had H.S. sports listed on their profile..Everything else looks good.. In my opinion. Good Luck.

Athletic Activities:
• Karate (2004-2010)
• Tennis (Recreational)
• Golf (Recreational)

For your athletic activities, is your recreation a team or individual? If its individual I don't think that counts (Not sure) but I would think it wouldn't count.

Also, I'm not sure if the P90X workout plan is an activity. If it was, there would be lots of people listing this because I know a lot of people that use this workout plan. Same with the Tulsa run.

Back