??? George Mason leadership program

GoAF8385

5-Year Member
Anyone know anything about the George Mason University National Youth Leadership Forum? DS was supposedly "nominated" to attend this program. We can't find out WHO nominated him. Program claims to offer college credit for 5 day seminar program but not specific on what and is it only credit at GMU. Program is fairly expensive. We don't think it's truly a scam since GMU is a renouned university in the DC area. Program "looks" impressive online but of course they're going to make it look so. Forum seminar is on: "exploring American Diplomacy, Intelligence & Defense"

Is program legit? Is this just a send out because he has good ACT scores and got on their mailing list? If he does it will it really make any difference on nomination and academy applications? Does he claim on his resume to have been nominated for it --ie. is it a real "award" or just program claim?

Thanks, wondering Mom.

My son received that last spring too. It seems if you are willing to pay the fee you can go. Google it and I think you will find quite a bit of info. I don't think it is a "scam" but not sure it is an award. I think you may be right that good ACT scores get you on the mailing list.

Thanks Packer. Our thoughts too. Actually after looking at website, which makes it look like good idea, we did google it and that's what brought up questions. Especially as regarding can't get program to answer Who nominated.

Still looking for answers from anyone in the know though!

Good luck to your son on this process and admissions!

As a high school teacher, I receive rrequest to nominate people for these programs. You were probably selected by a teacher who thought you had an interest in that area. I have had students go to the National Youth Leadership Forum on Defence and Intelligence. I don't think it was through George Mason however. They met other like minded students from around the country and attended a few briefings to see what government work was like. It was expensive, but I think they enjoyed the experience. I have identified students interested in the Natioinal Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine. I know they enjoyed that one. I have some info at work that I can PM you about to see if this is from the same outfit.

Back