ROTC to Academy

Kat

5-Year Member
I am currently a junior in college and I have always wanted to attend USAFA. During my freshman year i joined army ROTC and decided that it wasn't what i was looking for so I left later that year. Can i still apply to USAFA?

I am currently a junior in college and I have always wanted to attend USAFA. During my freshman year i joined army ROTC and decided that it wasn't what i was looking for so I left later that year. Can i still apply to USAFA?

To be eligible for appointment consideration, you must:
• be at least 17 years old by July 1 of the year you enter the Academy
• not have passed your 23rd birthday on July 1 of the year you enter the Academy
• be a U.S. citizen (international students authorized admission are exempt from the U.S. citizenship requirement)
• be of high moral character
• meet high leadership, academic, physical and medical standards
• be unmarried, with no dependents

The answer is yes if you meet the requirements above.

You can still apply as I have a son who is in his sophmore year at the academy. He applied and was accepted when he had already completed 90 college credits and going into his junior year. At this point he is happy with his decision but his first year he wrestled with the fact that his friends are soon graduating and he forfeited his 90 credits and reset back to 0 when he went to the academy. One other issue to keep in mind is that his laison informed him that the acceptance board had concerns about him being able to adjust to academy life after spending 2 years in conventional college. They felt he may have expereinced too much independence and the transition would be too difficult. It wasn't easy for him but still confident he made the right choice. His college schooling certainly helped him prepare for the academic demands of the academy. I appreciate the magnitude of your decision and I wish you all the best to you which ever choice you make.

no amount of civilian college credits would mean that any time spent at USAFA is a waste.

bottom line: go for it. there is no substition for being a member of the long, blue line. period.

Back