Different Statuses

zlenning46

5-Year Member
I am wondering what my status of candidate means, and what the other statuses are. I am sure that this has already been covered somewhere so if you want to post a link instead of explaining I understand.

Basically, your status has moved from applicant to candidate because either you have rcvd a nomination, or the academy has reviewed your file and deemed you qualified to compete for an appointment. It doesn't mean you will get an appointment, just that you are considered competitive enough to be granted candidtate status.

Your status will remain Candidate until you get offered an appointment. It will then change to Appointment....if you accept the appointment, it will change to Appointment Accepted.

Good Luck to you. I know this is a very emotional time. One minute, you think...of course I will get in...and the next you will be thinking...what if they don't think I'm good enough. Make sure you have Plan B in place...just in case.

It was March when my daughter received her appointment, along with most of the other appointees. Hang in there :smile:

I saw in the Class Profile for 2015 that there were 2,651 "Qualified Candidates" (parred down from a "Candidate pool of 8,085") what is the difference between "Candidate" and "Qualified Candidate"?

Just thought that I would check my DD's application status today and it says, "Appointment Status: Letter of Assurance"....good news?

Last edited:
Just thought that I would check my DD's application status today and it says, "Appointment Status: Letter of Assurance"....good news?

Yes this is very good news!! I remember that day last year in late November. It takes a huge weight off of your shoulders to see that. Enjoy knowing that you have obviously something very special, but don't forget that the LOA is contingent on something (CFA, nom, medical...) so get that done and I will hopefully see your DD here next year.

I saw in the Class Profile for 2015 that there were 2,651 "Qualified Candidates" (parred down from a "Candidate pool of 8,085") what is the difference between "Candidate" and "Qualified Candidate"?

Qualified candidates are 3Q (Medically, academically, and physically qualified) plus they have a nomination. Last year about 1170 received appointments meaning the difference (about 1,500) either turned down the appointment or were QNV (Qualified but No Vacancy).

Let whoever you're applying to for nominations know about your LOA! LOA's from USAFA are based on nominations from what I was told last year. It's another card you can play to increase your chances! I got one last year and I notified both people who I applied for noms and I got one from both!

Best of luck.

When our son got an LOA in October 2008, his Congressmen already knew about it when he went for his interviews in December.

Back