Questions about "Instructions to Appointees"

eaglewings4031

5-Year Member
I've been going through the paperwork in my second BFE and have had a few clarification questions along the way. So I decided to start a thread for this, both for my use and in case others are in the same boat :thumb:.

On USAFA IMT O-143 there is a box marked "home of record." The instructions define this as "city and state you entered active duty" but does this mean my current residence or Colorado Springs?:confused:

Also, for SGLV 8286 there is a box for address in Part 5 where the signature box is. The instructions for Part 5 state: "Enter the amount of SGLI; Print the completed form; DO NOT SIGN this form! The form will be reviewed and signed at in-processing in front of a witness. Mail pages 1-2 in the provided envelope to Cadet Personnel."

It does not specify if I should or should not place my home address in that box and up to this point the instructions have been extremely detailed as to what to complete and what not to complete. Should I fill this box out or not? :confused:

Thank you to whoever can answer! :biggrin:

I've been going through the paperwork in my second BFE and have had a few clarification questions along the way. So I decided to start a thread for this, both for my use and in case others are in the same boat :thumb:.

On USAFA IMT O-143 there is a box marked "home of record." The instructions define this as "city and state you entered active duty" but does this mean my current residence or Colorado Springs?:confused:

Also, for SGLV 8286 there is a box for address in Part 5 where the signature box is. The instructions for Part 5 state: "Enter the amount of SGLI; Print the completed form; DO NOT SIGN this form! The form will be reviewed and signed at in-processing in front of a witness. Mail pages 1-2 in the provided envelope to Cadet Personnel."

It does not specify if I should or should not place my home address in that box and up to this point the instructions have been extremely detailed as to what to complete and what not to complete. Should I fill this box out or not? :confused:

I'm not sure about the home of record but for the SGLI paperwork I'm pretty sure you give the name and address of the person who will receive the money in the event of your death.

I wouldn't worry, It's something you should be able to update at a later time.

Are you Active Duty enlisted? or applying from high school/college?

Your "home of record" is where you live now if you are entering from high school. This would also be true if you are in college, but still use your parents address for your permanent address.

Best of luck to you!

I'm not sure about the home of record but for the SGLI paperwork I'm pretty sure you give the name and address of the person who will receive the money in the event of your death.

I wouldn't worry, It's something you should be able to update at a later time.

The info for primary beneficiaries is covered in section 3 of the form. Section 5 is my signature stating that the above info is correct, my social, the amount my SGLI is for, and it has a space for an address. I'm pretty sure my current address goes there. The bigger concern is that the instructions don't specify if USAFA wants that part filled in now or later because the instructions have been very specific with "fill this out, but do not fill this out yet" up to that point. Hope that clears up what I'm asking LOL.

Applied from high school. This has been a dream of mine for years, I'm very thankful to see it finally becoming a reality! :biggrin:
Congratulations on your appointment! As Jackson already stated, "home of record" for you, is your current address, presumably your parent's address, which is presumed to be a good address for you in the years ahead, no matter where you are assigned. If this is not the case, then think of an address where you could have mail sent, no matter where you were located in the future, and someone at that address would keep care of your mail for you.

Congratulations on your appointment! As Jackson already stated, "home of record" for you, is your current address, presumably your parent's address, which is presumed to be a good address for you in the years ahead, no matter where you are assigned. If this is not the case, then think of an address where you could have mail sent, no matter where you were located in the future, and someone at that address would keep care of your mail for you.

Thank you! =) Guess that answers one question

eaglewings, like others have posted, your home of record is your current hometown and state. Your cadet address is entered a couple boxes later on that form.

Concerning your SGLV 8286 (life insurance), you can fill out everything but the signature since that has to be witnessed by someone at the academy when you get there for inprocessing. Just as an aside, once you get your first pay (online paystub), check and see if they are taking out the correct amount for whatever level of insurance you signed up for. My son picked a minimum amount, signed for that and everything, and they still were taking out the full amount for $400,000 in coverage. And since he has to go to the human resource office in an out-of-the-way building (his words) to sign to correct it, I'm sure he's paid for full coverage long beyond that first month!

eaglewings, like others have posted, your home of record is your current hometown and state. Your cadet address is entered a couple boxes later on that form.

Concerning your SGLV 8286 (life insurance), you can fill out everything but the signature since that has to be witnessed by someone at the academy when you get there for inprocessing. Just as an aside, once you get your first pay (online paystub), check and see if they are taking out the correct amount for whatever level of insurance you signed up for. My son picked a minimum amount, signed for that and everything, and they still were taking out the full amount for $400,000 in coverage. And since he has to go to the human resource office in an out-of-the-way building (his words) to sign to correct it, I'm sure he's paid for full coverage long beyond that first month!

Thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind come first paycheck :thumb:

On the flip side of the insurance plan, why not take the full amount? Being prior service I have recommended the full amount for my cadets. Later if you want to change the amounts (increase) you have to go through a medical exam or at the very least have your commanding officer verify your health. This happens each time you want to increase your insurance. For the money, it is very hard to get comparable insurance at the rate provided. This is of course my Personal Opinion! Worked Personnel in the Air Force for many years.

SF86

Wait until you get to the SF86 for your security clearance! It is 122 pages long and the appointees have to take a copy with them for I-Day:eek: Nothing like adding a little weight to that backpack.

Wait until you get to the SF86 for your security clearance! It is 122 pages long and the appointees have to take a copy with them for I-Day:eek: Nothing like adding a little weight to that backpack.

Haha! I spent the rest of today filling that out the best I could. Going to go back tomorrow and double check everything... the fun part is going to be printing that puppy out. :eek: Probably should just give my dad money for a new ink cartridge now lol

So, I already have a TS/SCI... surely I don't have to go through the process again.

So, I already have a TS/SCI... surely I don't have to go through the process again.
You might. I had TS/SCI and a few compartmented "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you" clearance, and I still had to fill out the 86 for just a Secret when I went to work for the FAA.

I only just got upgraded from Secret to TS/SCI last November and I still have my SF86 from that investigation. I should still have at least 4.5 years before I have to renew.

It would be kind of stupid for the government to pay for an entirely new investigation especially since I'd be in the same organization anyways. I don't know though, it's really just a hassle I don't want to deal with.

I only just got upgraded from Secret to TS/SCI last November and I still have my SF86 from that investigation. I should still have at least 4.5 years before I have to renew.

It would be kind of stupid for the government to pay for an entirely new investigation especially since I'd be in the same organization anyways. I don't know though, it's really just a hassle I don't want to deal with.
Hopefully you'll be OK, but as an insurance, you should take an up to date copy with you just in case. Good o' Murphy could be lurking on I-day.

According to the instructions: Previously enrolled USAFA Prep School Students, Prior Service members, ROTC Cadets, and Reserve members who have previously received a security clearance are not required to complete the Questionnaire. In addition, International students will not be submitted for a security clearance and are not required to complete the Questionnaire.

So it would seem that you are in the clear:thumb:

On a another thought, how many ways can you be asked if you have been convicted, taken drugs etc.........Very redundant form, if they didn't seem to ask everything 5 different times you could probably cut out about 80 pages. Oh well, small price to pay I suppose.

On a another thought, how many ways can you be asked if you have been convicted, taken drugs etc.........Very redundant form, if they didn't seem to ask everything 5 different times you could probably cut out about 80 pages. Oh well, small price to pay I suppose.

I especially like the section that asks if you have ever been a terrorist:eek:

According to the instructions: Previously enrolled USAFA Prep School Students, Prior Service members, ROTC Cadets, and Reserve members who have previously received a security clearance are not required to complete the Questionnaire. In addition, International students will not be submitted for a security clearance and are not required to complete the Questionnaire.

So it would seem that you are in the clear:thumb:

Thanks for the info! Also, you'll be asked the same questions over and over throughout your career.

Is there a lot of stuff that the prior service members don't have to fill out?

Back