Re-Applying for Class of 2017

CrossCountryRunner12

5-Year Member
What advice would you give to a candidate who plans on re-applying to the Air Force Academy next year?

Like many other applicants this year, I too was rejected from the Air Force Academy. I had a nomination and was qualified academically and physically, but was medically DQ’d and the academy decided not to pursue a medical waiver.

With that, I plan on attending a local college and enrolling in their Air Force ROTC program. Since my major will be aerospace engineering, I will apply myself to keep my grades up and also remain physically actice.

As much of a disappointment it was to be rejected, I learned it, that everyone will fail numerous times in life before they succeed and you shouldn’t give up after failing, instead you should push forward. That’s why I will give it one last shot next year.

Thanks!

What advice would you give to a candidate who plans on re-applying to the Air Force Academy next year?

Like many other applicants this year, I too was rejected from the Air Force Academy. I had a nomination and was qualified academically and physically, but was medically DQ’d and the academy decided not to pursue a medical waiver.

With that, I plan on attending a local college and enrolling in their Air Force ROTC program. Since my major will be aerospace engineering, I will apply myself to keep my grades up and also remain physically actice.

As much of a disappointment it was to be rejected, I learned it, that everyone will fail numerous times in life before they succeed and you shouldn’t give up after failing, instead you should push forward. That’s why I will give it one last shot next year.

Thanks!

My best advice would be to do well your first year in college, and I mean 4.0 well. You want to show the academy that you can handle the stress of being thrust into a new or uncomfortable environment and can come out of it successful. Take challenging classes, but don't push yourself too far to where your grades suffer. Be involved in college extracurriculars - there are hundreds of them. Maybe even start your own? That's a plus in the application process. Be involved as a leader for at least one of these groups and help the club grow. The academies are looking for quality over quantity for both leadership and athletics. As always try to run on a daily basis and eat healthy. Best of luck to you.

Much will depend on whether you can overcome your medical DQ(was it something that just needs time). Just because you reapply does not mean they will pursue a waiver. Agree with the poster above on making yourself competitive. Take a rigorous course load similar to that of a C4C and do well in those classes. Retake the SAT and ACT to see if you can improve your scores. Keep working on maxing the CFA, if you didn't max all events.

Although I was not medically DQ'd last year, I was put on the waiting list. Let me tell you what I did during the time to earn an appointment this year.

First, I got a job doing construction in Hawaii. There I worked 55-65hrs a week. I earned enough for my first year of college, but my parents were great and helped me out for my first year. This shows the Academy that I know how to work and sacrifice - this experience definitely molded my character, and will especially help me face the rigors of a arduous boot camp.

Second, my family unfortunately makes too much for me to compete for most scholarships, so I busted my rear off my first year at college, and will finish with a 3.91 cumulative GPA at Brigham Young University. This automatically qualifies me for a full scholarship in my major. The point I make here is, the academy and congressmen want to know you are serious scholastically, and that you have the motivation to see that academy experience through... I don't have anything to gain financially by going to the Academy (make more in Hawaii than the monthly pay, and I could be in Dental school within two years due to previous credits), and the congressional panel that interviewed me understood that I was willing to sacrifice that, because I truly want to serve OUR country as an officer in the Air Force as a medical or financial officer (unless I get a pilot waiver :shake:).

Also, I dedicated time each week to tutor children at a local community learned center for struggling children. You will not be able to find leadership positions as a freshman, but you can show dedication and initiative by providing dependable (weekly) community service - attributes that are vital for successful leadership.

If you really want this, then seize these next couple of months as your final opportunity to compete for an appointment - if you don't get it, than know that you pushed yourself to be the best person possible, and imagine what you'd be like if you hadn't strived for it. If for some reason I get DQ'd at I-day, I can still go back to BYU with a full tuition scholarship, and a job waiting for me in Hawaii... imagine if I had taken the summer off and screwed off my first year - I wouldn't have an appointment, I wouldn't have a scholarship, I wouldn't have any construction skills, and I wouldn't be looking at Dental School. Count your blessings.

Last thing, because you have to make the Air Force want you, strive for a principle nomination from your congressmen - this is honestly your best shot. The panel remembered me from last year, and when they saw me ace advanced collegiate class in calculus, physics, political science, biology, United States History, nutrition, statistics, etc... and do well, they knew how badly I wanted it, and they rewarded my ambition. This might not be true in all districts, but that was the game plan that I adopted, and it panned out well for me. I suggest you do the same - work really hard, run your buns off (I lost 42 pounds that summer), and find something that either relaxes you or keeps you fired up (for me it was dating, snowboarding, and taking golf and basketball classes)... you have to be extremely balanced to maintain high levels of success. I hope this helps, this post was kind of personal to me... I've spent a lot of nights on my knees asking God for this opportunity, and now I feel far more confident that I can compete and succeed at the Air Force Academy. This is your opportunity; seize it. No matter what, your life will be better off. Good Luck! If you have any questions, just PM me.

Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you. I was rejected my first application, did ROTC for a year as an aerospace engineering major, and was accepted my second time.

First, I would contact your admissions counselor and get the list of classes that the Academy wants to see college students taking. I can't remember the list off of the top of my head, but taking those amount of credits and variety of classes and maintaining a high GPA is a huge plus for them.

Second, excel in ROTC. Performing well puts you up for some good awards you can throw onto a resume. But you can also receive a nomination from your AFROTC commander and be put on another board for an appointment, helping your chances of getting in.

Third, find leadership positions that you can take to beef up your application. Become the head or officer of a certain club at your school or start something yourself. Make sure it's something you would like to stay with, though, and something that would benefit you, because you might be staying at that college if you can't get into the Academy again.

Fourth, do some community service and donate some time to help others around you. It'll help you, and it'll help others too.

Fifth, stay in shape. Show USAFA that you are continuing to improve yourself and try to get better CFA scores this time around.

Sixth, Make sure you are keeping in contact with your admissions counselor. Keep in touch with him/her frequently, ask them any questions you may have. Keep updating that resume! If there is something that you want to add to it, even if you think it might not count for anything, call your admissions counselor and tell them about it. It can only help, not hurt. Make sure they are receiving everything on their end, too, because things get lost in the shuffle of the thousands of papers.

Apply to every nomination source that you can, be proactive, and keep a solid backup plan. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!

Back