Letters of Recommendation

Sandi3229

5-Year Member
I just recently found this board and am awaiting the (hopeful) BFE with DS... but I have to ask, because I have not seen anything on it - how much do letters of recommendation play into being selected for the Academy? Just curious since it seems everything else is being evaluated at great lengths. Thanks for any input! :thumb:

You're asking about something that is subjective in nature; and used mainly to validate.

Hmmm?

A letter of recommendation, unless it came personally and directly from the President of the United States, isn't going to get you into the academy. However; if one of your teachers who provides a recommendation and gives a very negative response, could have a negative affect on your chances.

Your application lists basically "FACTS". GPA, SAT/ACT, class rank, sport participation, club involvement, volunteer time, etc... The letters of recommendation are mainly used to validate all those facts and accomplishments. You can tell a lot by answers from a teacher if the accomplishments and facts of the applicant are sincere and part of that person's makeup or is it simply someone filling in squares. Most letters are going to be full of "Praise". But some use less impact words that don't sound like the person who's facts are in front of them.

So no, there isn't a lot of direct points associated with letters of recommendations; but the academy and your senators/representative can get a clearer idea of who you really are from them. That will definitely affect they score you in their process.

I am no expert, but . . .

When we asked teachers for letters of recommendation, we sent them this link

http://ezinearticles.com/?Air-Force-Academy-Appointments&id=619369

so they would understand the importance of the letter they were writing. Most (probably all) of the teachers at my son's HS have no idea about the academies or the rigorous application process, and have no military experience either. The article may not be entirely accurate or up to date (just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true), but by giving it to DSs teachers, it probably seved a good purpose. I'm not an ALO, so this is just a parent's perspective.

Also (and unfortunately) as a military family with a DS who wants to serve, he has been "treated differently" by some teachers who don't support what the US military is doing, so when he said he wants to serve in the military for his career, those teachers take out their disapproval on him in subtle ways. So make sure you choose the teachers carefully who will write the letters for your DS/DD.

This article may also help the teachers know what to focus on. Instead of just saying your DD/DD is good at English, the teacher will know to also write about his/her character and work ethic, and those types of qualities, not just academic performance.

Nuf said, I guess. It's so competitive now, every little bit helps!

Thanks for the input. Just getting perspective. I know it's subjective but thought I would throw it out there.

I just recently found this board and am awaiting the (hopeful) BFE with DS... but I have to ask, because I have not seen anything on it - how much do letters of recommendation play into being selected for the Academy? Just curious since it seems everything else is being evaluated at great lengths. Thanks for any input! :thumb:

When every point counts for your application, send in all of them.

Back