Recruit Dilemma

USNAHopeful2016

5-Year Member
I was appointed the USNA as a recruited athlete last month. While I’m honored to have the appt, the USNA is my 2nd choice behind AF. I’m trying to get one of the AF recruitment slots for my sport. The AF coach said that I have a very good chance at being recruited but is waiting on one recruit to turn down her appt so a slot opens up. I personally talked to this other recruit and he is 100% set for WP, so the slot is open. I’m waiting on an e-mail back from the AF coach.

A few days ago I received an e-mail for USNA coach asking me to send in my paper work. Of course, I have been holding out for an appointment to USAFA. My questions are:

If I DO send in my paperwork accepting the appointment, can I turn it down later?

If I DON’T send in my paperwork until May 1st, can the coach revoke my appointment?

Thanks!!

If you accept an appointment from one academy, you will not be able to accept any other offers from another appointment. If you are set on AFA but accept USNA's, you will not be able to accept an offer to AFA if it comes at a later time.

^ Absolutely false. From where are you getting this information?

You may accept your USNA appointment now and turn it down later. Happens every year. You also may hold on and wait until May 1 before accepting the appointment - which is probably the prudent course of action in this case.

Hypothetical situation:
May 1 - no news from AF and you accept USNA
May 15th you get the phone call from AFA - they want you!
You absolutely may accept AFA and turn down the USNA appointment.

If you are offered AFA after you accept USNA then please do your due diligence and call USNA ASAP and turn down your appointment. Don't hold on to it and just not show up.

^ Absolutely false. From where are you getting this information?

You may accept your USNA appointment now and turn it down later. Happens every year. You also may hold on and wait until May 1 before accepting the appointment - which is probably the prudent course of action in this case.

Because it was what I was told when I was being recruited to AFA for soccer last year. I was told by both the WP MALO I was working with and the AFA coaches that if I was on the fence, to wait until the May 1 deadline and make my decision then, not to accept the AFA appointment and wait on a USMA one if USMA was my first choice. Maybe I misunderstood how binding the acceptance was, but either way, you aren't obligated to accept an appointment until May 1 and you signing that acceptance says to that academy you are committing to them.

I know coaches can be pushy when it comes to them trying to firm up their recruiting class, but if you need time to make sure you are making the right decision, I would take it.

I was told by both the WP MALO I was working with and the AFA coaches that if I was on the fence, to wait until the May 1 deadline and make my decision then, not to accept the AFA appointment and wait on a USMA one if USMA was my first choice.
Gotcha - this is prudent and good advice.
To be clear - ALL Candidates have until May 1 to make their decision. Any Candidate who is on the fence for any reason should wait until May 1.
Occasionally, an appointment or better offer comes after May 1 - if that happens you are free to accept.

@ globalview: I'll PM you.

@Just_A_Mom & Casey: Your advice, if I understand it correctly, is to wait until May 1st before accepting the appointment? Going back to my original question, the coach couldn't revoke my appointment, correct?

EDIT: Going back to my original question, the coach couldn't revoke my appointment BEFORE May 1st, correct?

Last edited:
Have you already been offered the appointment officially from the Academy? I don't know for certain, but I don't think the coach can take an actual appointment away from a recruit if its already been officially offered. If you are just talking to the coach and he has said he will blue chip you so your file is going to be accepted so you'll be offered the appointment but haven't actually received the appointment yet, that's where I can see the coach being able to take it away. Again, I have no clue, but if the coach really wants you, I don't think that's a good way for him to be starting his relationship with you anyways. I'll defer to people who know more about that side of things though on saying whether or not its actually possible.

Back