Pilots License

usaffanatic

5-Year Member
Im going to be finishing my pilots license in a month and Im wondering if the academy lets you stay current with the FAA? You have to fly every couple of monthes to stay current. Does USAFA have any planes or programs for this? Any help would be appreciated.

There is information HERE about the opportunities for flying at USAFA.

Stealth_81

Im going to be finishing my pilots license in a month and Im wondering if the academy lets you stay current with the FAA? You have to fly every couple of monthes to stay current. Does USAFA have any planes or programs for this? Any help would be appreciated.

But you don't lose your license if you don't stay current (you just have to do the flight review every 24 calendar months), that's only for carrying passengers. On that note, after I got my license, I literally didn't fly for almost two years. And I forgot quite a bit and did not feel qualified to fly. So I'm not saying don't fly for 2 years, but if you can't fly for a three month period, you just lose your ability to carry passengers--which you can easily regain by doing the 3 takeoffs/landings.

I'm actually in a similar situation, except that as an instrument pilot, if you lose your currency (6 approaches and intercepting/tracking courses every 6 months) you're not allowed to fly IFR at all without a proficiency check.

So, from what Stealth linked, it appears that (at least in your first two years) unless you're on the flying team, you won't be doing any powered flight. If you want to stay current (in the sense of just being able to fly and being confident in your ability), I'd try to head down to KCOS once or twice a month. You could work towards your complex/high powered/tail wheel endorsements, or your IR.

I'm training at KCOS right now, and the lead instructor there is an ex-RAF fighter pilot and I don't think instructor pilots come any better than that. He's trained quite a few Academy cadets that are now flying planes a tad bigger/faster than a 172. I'm planning on working through my commercial multi-engine and my CFI at KCOS while at the Academy.

The club at the airfield will rent the C172s. So, you can get flights that way. (I think cadets can get a pretty substantial discount vs. most civilian places.)

Back