Am I on the right track for the Academy?

mustlovedogs

5-Year Member
The AFA is my dream school, however, I realize that it is extremely competitive to get in there... I would really appreciate any advice on where I need to beef up on my application/resume!

Current Grade level: 10

GPA unweighted: 4.0
GPA weighted: 4.69
PLAN: 25
PSAT:CR-55 Math-53 WS-52
ASVAB: 93

9th grade: AP Human Geo (4 on exam)
Varsity Golf Team
Beta Club

10th grade: AP English Languae and Composition
AP U.S. History
AP Chemistry
Varsity Golf Team Captain
Key Club
Knitting and Crocheting Club
College classes at local college during summer

11th grade (pre-planned):
AP Literature
AP World Geography
AP Calculus
Key Club President
NHS
College classes at local college during summer
12th grade (pre-planned)
AP Biology
AP Government and Economics
Dual-Enrollment classes
Key Club President
NHS

I am also highly involved in AFJROTC at my school. I have held numerous leadership positions, and will be corp commander my senior year (equivalent to president). I will graduate with close to 300 volunteer hours.

I realize that this is a lot to post but any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Damn your one of 'those' kids with the 4.0 GPAs and hella tons of service hours. :eek:

:thumb:

I can make a 'guess' (Pretty great guess) based on the information provided from you and you are on the right track. All I can say is keep up what you have right now; community service, leadership positions, high GPA.

Make sure you apply for the USAFA Summer Seminar next year to get a better perspective of what life is like at USAFA. (You probably already had it in mind)

@Matthew
Thanks for the reply! Yep I've had the seminar in my mind for awhile! The only thing I really need to work on is my fitness... but I should have plenty of time for that this summer!

mustlovedogs, things are looking good, but here are a couple things I would recommend.

1. You don't say what dual enrollment classes you are planning on sr. year
but I would recommend Physics, AP Calc BC and maybe a Chemistry,
not so much to help you get in, but to help if you DO get in.
Chemistry, Calculus and Physics are tough at the Academy--even for
some kids who did well in HS.

2. When the time comes in your junior year, plan on taking the SAT and
ACT often--as many times as needed to get high scores. Prep classes,
practice tests are a good idea. ASVAB won't matter--that's an enlisted
aptitude test I believe.

3. Definitely look into the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA) and plan on
working out, running, etc. You not only want to max out as much of the
CFA as possible, but if you get in, you want to report in the best shape
you can. Your training will probably be different than what you do for
golf.

Good luck! Don't forget to enjoy high school!

Study for the SAT! The sooner, the better. Take it often if you don't get the scores you're looking for. Atm your PSAT is equivelant to a 1080. "Highly competitive" candidates sit in the 1350+ range.

Also, talk to your guidance counselor at school about Boys State. It's a summer program at the end of your junior year. A simple search of these forums will yield tens of threads concerning Boys State.

You lack a highly athletic sport (like me) so train hard for the CFA. Look at the averages for each event (http://academyadmissions.com/img/assets/PDF/Entire_Catalog.pdf -page 21) and strive to beat the average.

Inform your senior JROTC instructor of your intentions to apply for USAFA. He should be able to nominate you and will probably provide a strong LOR for the application and for other nominations.

@AFAYahoo: Thank you so much for the advice! I would love to take more AP courses but my school doesn't offer much! I'm not even sure if the community college would offer the more advanced courses to me without taking their prerequisites!

@Shawn: I really hope to improve my test scores by my junior year! And I'd be applying for Girls State...:) Thanks for the advice!

I would say your very competitive minus the PSAT scores. But remember you can always add things to your schedule if you have room. Join CAP, do another sport again only if you have time. They like to see that you can handle a hectic schedule. Your grades are outstanding so keep up the good work. best of luck to you!

Calculus, Physics, Computer...

At the community college, you will undoubtedly take a placement test for math and possibly for language arts as well. Just take the most, and most difficult, you can.

Foreign Language??? Did I miss it? If YOU missed it, you'd better get it going right away.

Golf isn't usually known as a super-fit sport. I would also get on the CFA and all fitness activities immediately.

Back