honor concept dead

Phew, I'm clear, I graduated the scholars program so I must be a moral person. ;)

Well, since USAFA has an honor code, I don't mind the honor concept being dead.

There are issues that have to be resolved. Generally, cadets support the code, but often see problems with the system.

There are issues that have to be resolved. Generally, cadets support the code, but often see problems with the system.
There are always issues that need to be resolved. That is why an Honor Code is so important.

We have an Honor Concept at USCGA. What would you say the differences are between the two?

This article seemed to be more about the Defining Issues Test than it did the honor code. Granted, I briefly read it and didn't spend a ton of time in it. I took that "test", and it was one of those 'you can tell what the "right" answers are' tests. A lot of it is personal preferences, and you probably would've answered different ways depending on the mood you were in at the time. Most cadets didn't take it seriously seeing as it was a mandatory thing; we didn't have to take the test, but it took an hour out of an already busy day. So I wouldn't take this article too seriously. As the grads have pointed out above, most cadets have problem with the honor system, not the code or concept.

I agree that most of that article was based on the outcome of the Defining Issues Test. I also read thru those questions...and I want to know who gets to decide what the "right" answers are? They could all be answered in many different ways and still be considered moral. I don't think you can judge the honor/morality of our cadets based on the out come of that test. I don't put any stock in that article at all.
Also, I think most of the cadets are already of a high moral standard when they enter the Academies, so it stands to reason that their position on these questions may not change much while at the academy. Doesn't mean they aren't deepening their moral convictions while there.

sa far as "..not tolerate among us those that do." my DD has had several different encounters with other cadets and it weighs heavily on her mind. If she reports it there is a chance it comes back to her being a "tattletale". if she doesn't then she winds up letting a less than ethical cadet remain when she follows the rules. it is a difficult line to walk and most do well.

... If she reports it there is a chance it comes back to her being a "tattletale".
This is a dilemma she will face many times in her career and life in general. Starting at the top, no one accepts responsibility for anything they do nowadays -- and good luck if you rock the boat. Solving this conundrum in her mind is excellent training for later. Sounds like she is making the right call.

Bob (USAFA'60)

I agree that most of that article was based on the outcome of the Defining Issues Test. I also read thru those questions...and I want to know who gets to decide what the "right" answers are? They could all be answered in many different ways and still be considered moral. I don't think you can judge the honor/morality of our cadets based on the out come of that test. I don't put any stock in that article at all.
Also, I think most of the cadets are already of a high moral standard when they enter the Academies, so it stands to reason that their position on these questions may not change much while at the academy. Doesn't mean they aren't deepening their moral convictions while there.

Part of this is because USAFA has dedicated a great deal of resources to Character Development and it is very carefully studied - so this study might well be a case of over examination.

The other part of this has to do with the nature of testing. A cadet who is told to give their honest answers and who has lived with the honor system at a service academy is likely to give very different answers than someone who is trying to give the "correct" answer and has not lived with the demands of an honor system. In other words - the test is only as good as your sampling allows and your conclusions will be limited by the accuracy of your data.

yea, it's just sad to see all those hate comments on the bottom of the article. so much animosity towards cadets and faculty, i have a feeling it's personal with some of those commentators....

Back