Computer Science and Flying?

Gmlax92

5-Year Member
I'm only a sixteen year old kid but I've been interested in the service academies since I was little. I've always been interested in flying and computer science. Recently it was brought to my attention that you can major in computer science in the Air Force and Naval academies. My question to you guys is whether or not i could acquire a degree in computer science and fly at the same time. That way a career with computer science would be an option after my service commitment. Thank you!

You can. Your major does not affect which career path you take w/ the AF o

the USAF is leaning towards more unmanned drones and if you didn't notice, securing cyberspace is also the trend. sounds like a perfect fit for you-

Comuter Science and Flying

I majored in CS (computer science) at USAFA and was a navigator in the AF. I was later able to get my Masters Degree in CS and teach CS at USAFA. It was difficult to stay current in CS while in a flying assignment. But that pretty much applies to any engineering/science career field. Good luck.

One thing to consider: your service commitment can be up to 10 years for a pilot, so when you are talking about your post-commitment career, you got to factor that in. What do you want to do after those 10 years,at perhaps age 33? Start from the beginning with every other recent college grad, working on writing software? Or would you prefer to be in a mangement position by that time (where you'll pull in a salary close to what you are getting in pay and benefits as a senior Capt in the AF)?

The tech companies won't hire you at age 33 for a management position based on your CS degree from over a decade ago. But they WILL hire you, over folks who HAVE been in the Tech industry their entire careers, for that management position based on the leadership you have learned and lived with based on your military background; something that can't be taught in the software lab. Your military experince will be a plus on your side as you job search. Your initial background in CS will also be a plus on your side if your looking at a follow-on career in that field.

BL: Yes, you can get that CS or technical degree and fly for an AF career (in fact, the majority of the aviators I knew had technical degrees). Better yet, the leadership experience you will get in the military will make you a valuable commodity when you decide to leave and join the civilian industries, not in the "entry level" positions most college grads would be looking for, but in the leadership positions most of your peers in your age group will be looking for at the same time. Just ask any recruiter for any major company what they think about hiring former military officers....

Back