2017 LEAD hopeful

Bourdeau

5-Year Member
Hello everyone, A1C Bourdeau here. Currently an Airmen stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, as Cyber Systems Operator. Looking into joining the Academy (or Prep School heh) through the LEAD program.
Going to be retaking the ACT soon since I haven't done it since the beginning of my senior year of high school, scored a 26 on it without studying whatsoever :shake:.
I think I did pretty well in high school both education and physically, graduated 5 out of 32 due to me not taking pre-ap classes my freshman year, and then one incident relating to a girl transferring into my class bumping everyone back a rank. I maintained a 3.84 GPA and took 7 honors/AP/Pre-AP classes since my sophomore year. I was on the Math and Science UIL team my junior and senior year and we went to Regionals each year in Math.
Sports and club wise I played nearly every sport possible for the males besides golf, I played baseball my sophomore year, lettered in that, played football my junior and senior year and lettered in both, did the 400, mile relay, and high jump in track, lettered in that and made it to area in high jump my junior year and regionals my senior year. Also played basketball my junior and senior year, and again lettered in that (felt the best playing with my friends and on a team you could say haha).
Every year but my freshman year I was in Student Council and FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), my senior year I was the Pride and Patriotism officer in student council. My junior and senior year I was in National Honor Society. Was also in Spanish Club for 3 years (10th-12th grade), was the seceratary my Senior year.
So there is my creds you could say, not the greatest but average I think. I don't know if my rank will hurt me, hopefully it doesn't.
More background info, whole family is/has been military, mom was active duty army and dad is currently a French officer equivalent to a Colonel (was he// trying to get my TS clearance let me tell you haha).
Was also offered by my school counselor my junior year the chance to go to the Academy, I turned it down, wanted to experoence the enlisted side before I jump into becoming an officer. Feel slightly dumb for turning it down :frown:

Tl;dr I want to rise above the rest and seize an opportunity I missed out before and help shape the world's greatest Air Force :wink:
P.s I sent this with my iPhone seeing as gov computers won't allow you to login here.

Forgot to mention I'm red/green colorblind, which I heard is not totally DQ but I cant get rated afscs, which doesn't bother me seeing as I want to be an Intel officer.
And would getting a letter of recommendation from a ex-graduate help me chances? My deputy commander was an ex cadet who played football and went to both the prep school and academy, he is also red/green colorblind.

Okay, I'm a prior enlisted here at the prep school now. I wouldn't worry too much about your high school grades. When I was in high school, I only took 2 AP classes, and my GPA (unweighted) was 3.01. My ACT scores weren't the best, being only a 29. I wouldn't stress out too much about your color difficancy. Just go through the application, and don't give up. I'm sure you will make it, allowing you are of proper age for the prep school. In high school, I was only in one club, but I was also a boy scout. I have no worries about your application at all! =D

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I already put in my pre-cand questionnaire and they said I was non competitive, partly blame the 21 on my English subsection, going to be retaking it this Sept unless my base education office can do it sooner.
I think the week after next im going to set up a meeting with my sq. commander and see if he'll back me up with it. So far every other bit of my leadership has haha.
Also I'm only 19, 20 in October so I still have a bit of time to get my ducks in line.

Just because your not competitive for direct appointment doesn't mean you are not competitive for prep school appointment. =P

Back