Compression Shorts

Usafa16

5-Year Member
I know it is up to the Cadre whether or not one can wear them but if I were to bring some compression shorts should I bring white or black ones? And how many pairs of them should I bring? I have read many conflicting things about compression shorts so I was just wondering.

My DS brought 5 pairs of compression shorts with him to BCT last year and was allowed to keep them. According to him, the shorts were lifesavers as the issued undergarments were XXL on my skinny son. He said the ABUs can be scratchy and the compression shorts prevented chafing.

Bring black or a dark color. If you bring white, they will probably be a dark color by the time you are done with Jacks Valley anyway. :smile:

Unless there is some regulation a cadre, parent of a C4C, or grad can comment on that requires white . . .

Yorkiemom is right--bring black or gray. Something dark, as my son ended up tossing the issued white briefs after Jacks Valley as they just got too muddy, dusty etc to come clean. Same with some of the white socks they get issued. I went up for A Day and took some replacements.

My son wore one pair of compression shorts on I Day and took 2 others. arewethereyet, if your son got to keep 5 pair that is great! I would say not to push it by taking too many, or the cadre may not let you keep them, but a few pair should be fine. Basics also will have an issued bathing suit that some cadets wore under their ABU's if they didn't have compression shorts to help prevent the chafing.

I was able to find DS two pair(black) in his size locally. I got the shorter version just in case. I had also mentioned the idea of the swimsuit, or just wearing the issued athletic shorts under his ABU's(seems to me I remember DD talking about superman changes during BCT. Pretty sure she wore white socks under her green sock for this reason too). I am sure there will be more than enough room in the pants to accommodate shorts. They usually issue them just a little big because they know they need to move around a lot in them, especially in Jacks Valley.

Walmart sells Starter brand compression shorts for only $10 each, which isn't bad for shorts you'll throw away and replace after Jacks Valley. They come in Med to XL, and they tend to run small. They have black, dark blue, gray, and white. No need to spend a lot on Underarmor or Nike brands.

If you plan on wearing the purchased compression shorts in PT gear, heed the following quote from AFI 36-2903:

"Spandex. Both short and full length solid black or dark blue spandex may be worn
and visible under both the PTU/IPTU and optional running shorts."

So, try to get either Black or Dark Blue, not white or grey.

Back