Teacher Evaluations vs Recommendations

nwluts

5-Year Member
Before classes end and summer begins, I would like to give a heads-up to the teachers who I will ask for recommendations for the Academy. I'd like to give them advance notice about what they would do if they agree to write the letters. While combing the web and trying to put together all of the little bits and pieces, I found that people seemed to refer to teacher recommendations and teacher evaluations as two separate documents, where one teacher could not complete both the evaluation and the recommendation.

Is this correct?

I assume that the info regarding the letters/evals is on the Candidate Instructions sent out after July 1st, but I want to make the letters less of a crunch for them since I'm already asking them a huge favor; the letters sent directly to USAFA, letters sent to members of congress, and letters sent to other colleges create piles of paper. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello there,

In a way, yes this is correct.

You have School Official Evaluations (SOEs) and Letters of Recommendation. SOEs must be filled out by a teacher or some other school official in that capacity. They cannot have already written you a letter of recommendation

Letters of Recommendation can be filled out by anyone who is not a relative or close friend of yours. So they can be from a boss, teacher, etc. You can have up to 3.

Like you said, you can't have a SOE AND letter of recommendation filled out by the same person.

Anyone out there please correct me if I am wrong.

Evaluations and recommendations are 2 different things.

Unless they changed it this year, the teacher evaluations are required, are done online by the teacher, and the teachers must be from either your jr. or sr. year classes. The AFA asks that a math teacher, lang arts, and preferably science teacher do them (my son used his AP History instead since his physics teacher was unavailable to do one). In your Candidate Instructions online, there will be a section for you to enter the teacher's email, so ask the teachers who will be doing them whether they prefer to have the AFA use a school or home email since it will be over the summer when they are doing it. The AFA will then contact the teachers at their email address and give them the link to use to do the online evaluation. There is a way to do it on paper if for some reason the teacher can't do it online. This evaluation is not just "did student X get a good grade in your class?" but things like work ethic, teamwork, working under deadlines, attitude, etc., so make sure you choose teachers that will evaluate you in a good light!

Letters of recommendation can be from any person that knows you well--coaches, employer, teachers who did not write an online evaluation, school principal, etc. At least when my son applied, these were optional but highly recommended (read: you better submit them!). These letters will be written as a traditional letter, not online, and sent in.

There will also be forms that a school official (usually a guidance counselor) will have to fill out about you and submit with your official transcript, school profile, etc. Again, if this person writes a rec or eval, he/she can't write another recommendation.

You are smart to contact those teachers/school officials now and ask if they will do it for you. It can be hard to reach school staff over the summer, so if they know something is coming, they can watch for it. Good luck to you!

Thank you both for your help! You answered my questions perfectly.

AFAYahoo touched on this, GC's, but I want to stress it is important as you go to the teachers, coaches, etc., contact your GC too because many schools shut down during the summer, or work skeleton crew. The problem can become an issue when the school starts up again in the fall.

Come late Aug.,early Sept the GC will also be working on the applications for EA/ED admissions. At our kids schools, they state that it will take 10 business days to get this accomplished. They start school Wed. after Labor Day. That means on a good day, they are coming close to the end of Sept. 1st board typically meets around Columbus Day, so if you want to meet the 1st board you are cutting it close.

Also while you are getting this all together, remember the CFA can be administered by only specific people, coaches and PE teachers are acceptable, so if you plan to use them it might be to your benefit to ask if they are available over the summer to administer the CFA.

Good luck!

Back