<3weeks 'til Iday

burnerafter16

5-Year Member
paperwork done(checked,double checked) airline ticket confirmed
waking up @ 5 in the AM everyday hitting the gym
sit-ups,pull-ups, push-ups,flutter kicks,running in boots,swimming

what else is there to do to get ready for the beast?

Some suggestions:

Spend time with your parents, play xbox too much, sleep in once-in-awhile, eat pizza and see a movie, play angry birds (or whatever), read a book or two, go shopping and buy something you don't need, look around - look all around, eat big bites, leave your shirt untucked, watch your favorite TV show, go to the beach/pool, spend time with your high school friends, stroll somewhere in a leisurely manner (don't walk quickly or in a straight line), wear clothes that don't match on purpose, sleep ON your bed (and don't make it), pet your dog a lot, make sure your friends/relatives have your cadet address, say a prayer for future perseverance and determination, be nice to your siblings, listen to favorite iTunes . . . and don't take any unnecessary risks.

Take time to thank the people who helped you get where you are today.

Enjoy sitting while you can. From I-day until the end of Basic, the only time you are allowed to sit/lean on anything is when your door is closed or during briefings. When is your door closed, you might ask? Only when you are changing or after your cadre put you to bed for the night.

No one ever appreciates being allowed to sit down until you can't :rolleyes:

Burnerafter16, you are dialed in! Yorkiemom has great advice and I'd second it. I'd say, be smart, be safe, and tell your folks how wonderful they are.

So fortunate to have this forum to get pertinent info and wise counsel.

Helps alleviate anxiety-the space between the "now" and "then"

This is my usual summer day:

Wake up at 9-10AM
Breakfast/TV till 11
Video Game/TV till 1
Lunch till 2
Workout at 330 till 430-5
Dinner at 6
Video Game/TV till 11
Sleep
Repeat

Enjoy your free time, ESPECIALLY waking up late... You will never get enough sleep, especially in an Academy setting

This is my usual summer day:

Wake up at 9-10AM
Breakfast/TV till 11
Video Game/TV till 1
Lunch till 2
Workout at 330 till 430-5
Dinner at 6
Video Game/TV till 11
Sleep
Repeat

Enjoy your free time, ESPECIALLY waking up late... You will never get enough sleep, especially in an Academy setting

Sounds about right!

perhaps instead of parties it should be social life because to a certain degree, a healthy social life is always beneficial.

Ignorance is bliss. Don't be so quick to judge. If you think cadets don't party, prepare to be amazed. :yllol:

On the other hand. Regarding the gym, I spent a good 3-4 hours in the gym before basic, thinking I was walking into a **** storm. I really wish I could go back and cut that time significantly. I wish I had spent it sitting down, going slow, eating and hanging out with friends. I was a three sport athlete (not to toot my own horn) but there are kids out there who never played a sport, and they made it through. They relied on classmates to carry them, but they made it. It's good to be the person helping instead of getting help, but you will all struggle in some way or another. For me it was knowledge, but you'll learn, don't fret.

Before basic: ditch the significant other, hone in on friend time. Enjoy your family, don't shave, and eat what you think you'll crave. Forget sleep, that's going away regardless. Seriously, HAVE FUN. Basic was a blast, I had some of the best bros I could think of, and made some memories.

Just a note of advice I got before BCT, and a comment triggered my memory:
Don't burn bridges before you leave. You'll probably lose touch with a bunch of people you knew in HS, but not all. Just because you are going a different way than most of your friends doesn't mean you should abandon them.

Back