prep school question

swewe

5-Year Member
My DS has taken the Sat 4 times now and he still scores in the middle 500 in critical reading. Math is 650. Could he be a candidate for the prep school. Does he have to get a 580 even to apply for the academy. Will he even get a nomination with that score. He has all the other qualifications with leadership, sports, volunteer, and job.

My DS has taken the Sat 4 times now and he still scores in the middle 500 in critical reading. Math is 650. Could he be a candidate for the prep school. Does he have to get a 580 even to apply for the academy. Will he even get a nomination with that score. He has all the other qualifications with leadership, sports, volunteer, and job.
Take the ACT. It is a different kind of test and some people do better on it than the SAT.

All good questions.

Taking them in order:

a. Yes, he can be a candidate for the prep school. ALL academy candidates are also "candidates" for the prep school. Does that mean that if they don't get USAFA they will get the PS? No. But all qualified are considered.

b. No, he can apply with ANY score but...there are required minimums to become a candidate. Without those minimums, USAFA will NOT designate him a candidate unless a MOC nominates him or he qualifies for another type of nomination.

c. Only your MOC's can answer this. I can say that after chairing my MOC's nomination panel for many years, we've nominated folks with lesser scores but hugely impressive packages...and we've also NOT nominated folks with higher scores becuase they just didn't "fit" the picture we were looking for re: qualifications, etc. The MOC makes the call and he has given us virtual "Carte Blanche" in our selections but we take it VERY seriously because he does give us that much trust.

Bottom line...as an ALO, I would tell him: SHOOT FOR 650+ on BOTH sides...less than that, IMHO, will be a LONG shot this coming cycle as the numbers for selection will not be much higher than the class of 2016. If we select more than 1125 next year I will be pleasantly surprised.

I would also HIGHLY recommend that he take the ACT as the test is completely different and some folks do great on one and not the other...he might crush the ACT!

Hope this helps a little.

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

Apply. The worst they can do is say no. You don't have to meet USAFA mins to be considered for Prep. Otherwise, what the Prep be for?

Back