Clothing?

the tone

5-Year Member
Can't seem to pinpoint this info...perhaps someone can help who's been there, done that. What type of underclothing/clothing should a male cadet bring to the USAFA? I find no mention about type, quantity, etc of things like athletic shorts, T-shirts, socks, and underwear! Do they issue that right away, eventually, not at all? Seems like a silly question, but I haven't a clue what to send with my cadet! Thanks.:thumb:

For guys, I think the answer is -- the clothes on his back. Everything else will be issued. The one exception to this is -- possibly a couple of pairs of compression shorts (see discussions re compression shorts in other postings). It is different for female cadets who are asked to bring underwear (sports bras and underwear). A male cadet or parent of a male cadet should be able to confirm this for you.

dohdean is correct, just send them with the clothes on their back. My son also highly recommends bringing compression shorts (black). The rest of the clothes, socks, etc will be issued to them.

Best of luck!

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Any idea why the compressions shorts recommendation?

My son says the compression shorts help with chafing and they are WAAAAY more comfortable than the "tighty whitey" issued underwear. Stick with inexpensive ones though, BCT will take its toll on them and they can be pricey.

I believe the compression shorts help to prevent chaffing and (maybe) provide overall comfort while doing PT, calisthenics, running, etc. My daughter did not take them to Basic three years ago and did just fine -- but she wears them under PT gear all the time now. Basics who are already used to wearing them may find them more comfortable. I think there is a thread on compression shorts from a couple of weeks ago. As I recall, some squadrons may not allow them -- but then your son/daughter will just put them away with their other civilian clothes until they are allowed. The recommendation was for black or gray in color, as I remember. White will get filthy (like all of the issued underwear) so white is not a good color.

Back