SAT Questions

ClickClack

5-Year Member
Does anyone have a guess on how long it takes for the scores to arrive from collegeboard to the colleges you send them to? I got my scores today and was just curious about when they would get them

How competitive is this/is there any area I should focus on more?
CR 720
Math 690
Writing 600
Total 2010

Thanks

My guess is that USAFA has your scores by now if you have received them.

If you are serious in your effort to receive a nomination, then you want to have the highest ACT or SAT score that is possible for you. Your current scores are respectable but can you do better?

Have you taken the ACT? It is common for students to score very differently on the two exams as they test different material in different ways. Take both. How many times have you taken the SAT? USAFA superscores taking the highest score from each section from any number of exam dates. Take the exam as many times as you can. DS started with a 27 on the ACT and ended with a superscore of 33 (2190 SAT equivalent).

To be competitive for the Class of 2016, ALO's on the Fourm said a candidate should have 700CR/700M or 32 on the ACT. In the past, AFA has not used the Writing portion of either exam. Lastly, remember the SAT/ACT is only one component of your WCS as the AFA is looking at the whole candidate. Work on everything. In the past, candidates with perfect SAT scores have not received an appointment.

The problem with the "How competitive" question is nobody knows what state you are from.

The fact is to get an apptmt you need a nom. You could be from WV or ND and that would be deemed safe/competitive, you can also be from CA or VA and that would not be deemed safe.

I posted this on another thread, but it needs to be reiterated here too.

Scholarship Types
Type 1 Type 2 Type 7
SAT 1435 1324 1278
ACT 32.7 30.1 28.6
GPA 3.91 3.79 3.77

Big difference is AFROTC does not superscore, those scores are best sitting. 95% of AFA applicants will apply for AFROTC as plan B.

You are above the median, but you left out other aspects besides your state.

CGPA?
EC's?

You can have a 2400 on the SAT, yet if you have a 3.2 cgpa, no APs/Honors, no ECs. bust your CFA your chances will greatly reduce.

I have taken the ACT but have not received the scores back yet. That is my second time to have take the SAT with about a 200 point total improvement.
Im from Texas which I know is more competitive. My GPA is about a 3.4 but with a lot of AP classes mostly in history/math/science. Also another more distinguishing factor I think is that I have already taken 3 engineering classes for college credit with 2 more my senior year. I also play Football, Throw shot put, Power lift and I was also a soph and jr class rep and will be Student Body President as a senior.

Click Clack -

No doubt you are on the right track. My DS will be arriving next week to join the Cadets of 2016. We are in VA, one of the more "competitive" states as well. He was focused on the USAFA since middle school. I always preached, give them every reason to select you, don't give them a reason to think twice about it. He worked very hard at it, focused, and achieved his goal. He also received a Type 1 AFROTC scholarship. He was at 2180, 720M 670CR. And, a 34 ACT. There is no size fits all when it comes to getting a nomination and an appointment. You don't mention outside activities beyond school. Blackbird and Pima outline the points pretty well. It really is about the complete package. Don't forget your interviews, with your ALO and the various MOC panels. Looking great on paper is a huge step, but you must also present a mature, positive attitude in person. Good luck and keep at it!

Outside of school stuff is my only weak spot really, with sports year round I haven't done much volunteer work. I'm in several "groups" but I don't think they would count for near as much because they are just classical car stuff with my dad. Through student council I have been fairly active in the community either with food drives and the like at school or dealing with local businesses to try to secure fundraising.

It does appear that your athletics are yr round, and let's be honest Class president will help you too because you are in a leadership position.

I would assume you are also NHS, so place that into your resume too.

As Tiltshift stated, part of the WCS will include your essays, ALO rec. and CFA. Every point matters. Don't lose sight on the big picture because you are concerned about just one aspect of the picture. I would assume with the sports you play, the push-up, pull up, BBall throw will not be an issue on the CFA, but running might be depending on your body build. If it is start running. The way the CFA works is if you bust one portion, you bust the entire CFA even if you max every other portion. Only the AFA and can reopen that portal once submitted. It is not something they do for every candidate, they do it for strong candidates that they think are competitive except for the CFA weakness.

As I have stated before the cgpa can change. For example in NC DS1's cgpa was computed on a 7 pt scale with a 5.0 weight for AP. DD and DS2 attended VA hs's and here it is a 10 pt scale with a 4.5 weight for AP. The only commonality both had was the schools calculated the gpa by the actual percentile in the class. Thus, a 90 in a 4 credit class with no weight would be a 3.6, and a 100 in that class would be a 4.0. Their hs takes the cgpa out to the 1000th and than rounds... DD graduated with a 4.172 =4.17 wcgpa.

OBTW, you stated that SAT went up 200 points, but I don't know the break down of the increase, nor I do I need to know. I only ask this because if you took the PSAT and scored high on one section, you could also be an NMSF, which you would want to include on your resume. NMSF is for the 95% and the AFA, along with every college knows what it means to be an NMSF.

Last edited:
I am sure your ALO will tell you to apply for an AFROTC scholarship too.

The thing about the scholarship compared to an appointment is selection is always from a national perspective. Where you live and where you intend to go to college has no factor in the selection. AFA starts off from a geo-centric position and than works its way to a national level.

Tiltshift will tell you that out of the 900 scholarships offered only 5% go Type 1. In the end about 1% of the candidates get that scholarship. If the intended major is non-tech it drops to 5% of that 5%, basically 1 or 2 in the applicant pool. Remember AFROTC scholarships go by best sitting, not superscore, so 1435 is pretty high when you realize it was just 1 test sitting.

I bring this up because everyone here will tell you have PLAN A (AFA/SAs), but make sure you have PLAN B, and C in place too, which typically is a ROTC scholarship.

As a FB Mom, the hardest part will be this summer for you trying to juggle FB camp/combine (DS went 6-4 M-F) and getting not only your AFA application done, plus your MOC noms, but also your AFROTC scholarship paper work done too, which will mean you will need to take both the CFA and PFA. As a FB player you don't want to do this on a training day, and you don't want to take both of the tests on the same day.

Welcome to the roller coaster ride! :wink:

Back