how am i doing so far?

urbonman6

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
GPA: 3.73 unweighted

Class rank: 70/470 (about top 15%)
only one AP class, but all honors.

Sports: JV soccer, lacrosse and Varsity lacrosse

EC: NHS, spanish club, mu alpha theta (math club), and MagFrat (community service based club)

SAT: math 670, CR 570. I am registered to retake it, and do a lot better on CR.

Just joined AFJROTC as a senior, (I just transferred schools and my old school didn't offer any jrotc programs)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know,

How about 39.678493%? That sound right to you?

Later,

Brian

GPA is decent. Class rank could be higher, but considering you're taking all honors classes, USAFA should account for that.

XCs are alright, but what about leadership positions?

Sorry, we are just messing with you,

You are looking pretty good. We really can not tell you much. It really depends partly on where you live, there are some really competitive states. Like Christcorp usually says, "If you don't apply, you have a 0% chance." Do your best and definitely take the SAT/ACT until you get your scores at or above the averages (like you are doing). I am assuming you are going for 2014 right? That is awesome if you are. If you could get in some kind of leadership position it might help. There are just to many different factors that go into determining if you will be accepted and we just don't know what all those are and how they apply to you. I wish you the best of luck in getting an appointment, maybe we will see each other next year.

Later,

Brian

GPA: 3.73 unweighted

Class rank: 70/470 (about top 15%)
only one AP class, but all honors.

Sports: JV soccer, lacrosse and Varsity lacrosse

EC: NHS, spanish club, mu alpha theta (math club), and MagFrat (community service based club)

SAT: math 670, CR 570. I am registered to retake it, and do a lot better on CR.

Just joined AFJROTC as a senior, (I just transferred schools and my old school didn't offer any jrotc programs)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Who knows. ALOT of things go into it. You would be suprised

thanks for the feedback

Sorry, we are just messing with you,

You are looking pretty good. We really can not tell you much. It really depends partly on where you live, there are some really competitive states. Like Christcorp usually says, "If you don't apply, you have a 0% chance." Do your best and definitely take the SAT/ACT until you get your scores at or above the averages (like you are doing). I am assuming you are going for 2014 right? That is awesome if you are. If you could get in some kind of leadership position it might help. There are just to many different factors that go into determining if you will be accepted and we just don't know what all those are and how they apply to you. I wish you the best of luck in getting an appointment, maybe we will see each other next year.

Later,

Brian

I moved from Va. to SC. the GPA weighting is different in my favor in SC, so when I get my GPA "re-done" by my new school, it should jump up a few tenths or more.

Don't worry, the academy is going to "neutralize" your gpa anyway. That is why they ask for a school profile and the classes you take/took. There's literally thousands upon thousands of high schools. They have to try and make them all the same. There are as many; or more; students and high schools that don't weight classes at all. The academy has to take the 4.0gpa unweighted with heavy AP/IB classes, and bounce it off the 4.0gpa with traditional classes, wood shop, chorus, etc... Then, they have to bounce that against the 4.5gpa in a weighted school. So; do not freak out if your gpa as posted by the academy isn't quite what you think it should be. There's applicants who didn't have any AP/IB classes or honors/etc... available at their school. There's some students who had all of them available and only took 1-2 a semester. Then there are some that had some available, and took all of them; 5-7 a semester. The academy is pretty good and determining what your school has available; how challenging you made your schedule; and how well you did at it. Best of luck. Mike....

GPA is decent. Class rank could be higher, but considering you're taking all honors classes, USAFA should account for that

Nah hes GPA is good, mine was 3.73 I got in and there are guys in my squad who had lower GPA's and got in, e.g. 2.9, 3.3, 3.5.

Just remember its not just academics, so take the SAT again, keep working hard in school, keep plugging away at sports and leadership too. Good luck.:thumb:

Nah hes GPA is good, mine was 3.73 I got in and there are guys in my squad who had lower GPA's and got in, e.g. 2.9, 3.3, 3.5.

Let's put some clarity in this equation. Was the guy in your squad with a 2.9 a falcon foundation? If so then that goes into a different pile, same if they were a recruited athlete.

Now, be honest and see the whole pic. What were your ECS and CFA like? What state does he come from...NJ is nowhere near as competitive as CO, CA or VA.

There are too many stories of a 4.0 student not getting an apptmt because they did not have the highest WCS.

None of us are sitting on the board, the only way not to get into the AFA is not apply. There will be people with lower GPAs or lower SATs. The gpa is fine, but that CR SAT is low. I think the median is @630, which is a big difference your M is slightly above the median. PAR is 60%, so I would keep taking it, try the ACT, you may be higher. DS had 1390, but his ACT equiv was higher, it does not hurt to spend a sat morning taking a test if it could add more pts to your PAR

Key is never to be below or the avg, you want to be above, since that is more points on your WCS, and the highest score wins.

Let's put some clarity in this equation. Was the guy in your squad with a 2.9 a falcon foundation? If so then that goes into a different pile, same if they were a recruited athlete.

Now, be honest and see the whole pic. What were your ECS and CFA like? What state does he come from...NJ is nowhere near as competitive as CO, CA or VA.

There are too many stories of a 4.0 student not getting an apptmt because they did not have the highest WCS.

None of us are sitting on the board, the only way not to get into the AFA is not apply. There will be people with lower GPAs or lower SATs. The gpa is fine, but that CR SAT is low. I think the median is @630, which is a big difference your M is slightly above the median. PAR is 60%, so I would keep taking it, try the ACT, you may be higher. DS had 1390, but his ACT equiv was higher, it does not hurt to spend a sat morning taking a test if it could add more pts to your PAR

Key is never to be below or the avg, you want to be above, since that is more points on your WCS, and the highest score wins.

he's from Brooklyn and came straight from high school. I don't think his CFA was that great, i guess he had great XC's and all. he's a good guy and we all like him. just maybe his stats weren't as good as others. WPC right there i guess

Not taking anything away from the kid from Brooklyn, but he could have also been 1 of only a couple of applicants for his representative. There could have been a diversity factor involved. There's a lot of variables.

But for those who don't already know, your academics; which include gpa, class rank, ACT/SAT, course difficulty, course availability, and school profile, account for 60% of the total score on your quest for an appointment. This is converted into a number: I believe the high is something like 508 points or somewhere near there. Added to that will be all the other areas.

But there are some really important things to remember. Whatever your current GPA is at this time and place, you can't do a thing about it. All you can do is improve it with future grades. And if you're a senior, showing a tough course load will help. Especially if you do well in those classes. Next; the average GPA over a long period of time, has been around a 3.8. That means, that if it was the MEAN average, there is at least a 3.6 in the crowd. But because that is the true mathematical average, it is quite possible to have someone with a gpa in the low 3's. Which they do every year. And finally; it doesn't matter what your "Chances" are. You have absolutely nothing to lose by applying. You CAN'T get an appointment if you DON'T APPLY. And you have very little in common with another applicant. Unless you ask: "What are my chances"; ONLY to people from your same district and state; your comparison to any other candidate, is totally useless. You aren't going to be compared directly to an applicant from another state. Even if after half the "Normal" appointments are given out; (453 from representatives, 100 presidential, etc....); and you get placed in the general pool for selection; the comparisons are not equal. I.e. The air force is going to look at each applicant as an individual. They are going to see how their application/profile fits into their objectives.

Year after year, there are people who think that there are a bunch of hard coded numbers in the process. "Get "X" amount of points, and you get an appointment". Sorry, but it doesn't always work that way. And the main reason why, is because once you narrow the slate of 10,000 applicants down to the 3000-5000 that are truly competitive, the differences between them can be measured using strands of hair on your head. In other words, they are all that close. Your 3.7 might be lower than another person's 3.85, but you could have other areas that put you ahead of them overall. And as pima mentioned, there are some 4.0 gpa applicants who didn't get appointments. I know some of these. Grades were everything for them. They didn't have anything else. Yes, they are very happy at Purdue and Princeton. But they aren't what the academies wanted.

Simply do the best you can in all the areas that you have control over. If you don't have control, or you've done the best and can't do any more, then relax and don't stress out. I know the desire of an academy education and military career is very appealing. And many dreams are built around these pillars. But the true strength of an individual is how they handle what they are dealt. We have individuals who have visited here who made it to the academy on their 3rd try. There's some who have been medically set back 2 years in a row. The determination you demonstrate to continue to reach your goals; even with such setbacks; is the true success. Best of luck. Mike....

How do you win an apptmt? The highest WCS on the slate. There was a kid 2-3 yrs ago from Terre Haute Indiana, and the only one on the slate...needless to say they won the apptmt.

You may look good overall, but if there is someone with a higher WCS than you do not win the apptmt. If your WCS is high enough you will go NWL, but otherwise it is over.

This is why I stress don't rush submitting the ap to make the 1st board, instead keep adding and updating so you have the highest points you can possibly get.

No apptmt from a slate can be given until the entire slate has submitted their package...caveat presidential and LOA's are the exception to the rule

Also he went to a private school that sounded like it was a very good school, so that def played a role.

Back