USAFA timeline question

Gleasons84

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
I was reading the timeline on the USAFA website and I was hoping that some of you might be able to answer a few questions that I have. :confused:
It states important dates-Between March 1 of your junior year and December 31st of your senior year, must request a senate nomination; now here in our state; applications must be submitted by mid Oct with appts assigned the 3rd week of November.
So my question is- my son would not be able to do his nomination really until his senior year, would I be correct in saying this?
Then it states that in August Candidate kit instructions are mailed out to students who's questionaires were completed and approved, and then he is able to complete his medical exam and fittness assessment...this would put us past his senior year, correct?? Because isn't he suppose to recieve his senate nomination before he is allowed to continue on with anything else?
OR I am reading too much into this???
What would he be allowed to do his junior year, can he do his senate nomination the first part of his junior year or does he need to wait until after the 1st of March like stated????

Thanks so much guys for your help on this! :biggrin:

Shannon

He could have everything in to the USAFA and actually have a Letter of Assurance (LOA) before he even goes to a congressional interview or possibly before any congressional application deadlines. Most deadlines for congressional nomination applications are not until this fall (at least in Texas) and getting your congressional nomination application in early made no difference in the nomination selection process.

My son got his application to USAFA including all his medical exams and CFA tests done before the first selection committee met which is usually early October. However, at that time he hadn't even started his congressional nomination applications (he is a wait until the last minute person or was in high school). All of this took place during the summer right before his senior year started.

Son's medical tests and CFA were done in the summer right before he started his senior year.

After school starts, you can have your counselor's office directly email your admission officer of any senior award achievements additions. Just ask the counselor to cc: you on anything they send. Simple to do.

So.. to answer you question - congressional nominations are usually the last things that come in.

Last edited:
I think you are indeed reading into it, or not reading it properly. Here is MY suggested timeline of a typical applicant. You will see that it falls in line with the academy.

1. Junior Year of high school: About this time of the year: Find out who your son's ALO will be. Besides saying Hi; you want to apply for Summer Seminar. The NLT date for applying for Summer Seminar is approximately the 1st/2nd week of march of their Junior Year. But you'd LIKE to apply for summer seminar earlier.

2. Assuming you get accepted for Summer Seminar, your application will automatically be started there. If you don't get to go to summer seminar, you will start the survey/pre-application prior to the end of Junior Year. This way the academy can prepare the candidate kit for your son.

3. Somewhere between now and spring, read over you representative's and senator's web sites. They almost always have information/instructions on applying for a nomination to the military academies. They will even provide a phone number to one of their staff members who is in charge of the military academy nomination requests. Feel free to call this person with any questions the web site didn't clarify.

4. While the academy site mentions the candidate package (Which is online) being available in August (Prior to the applicant's senior year); it's actually usually available in July. Part of the application is to have your teacher's email address so the academy can email them for an online letter of recommendation. The application will also require transcripts. So PRIOR to ending his Junior year, have you son ask each teach for their email address. Preferably an email they will check at home, because it will be summer and they won't be in school very often. Having all the email addresses makes it easier to get that portion of the application done. Also, coordinate with the school's admin section to determine when they will be open during the summer, so your son can take the paperwork in the online application to request transcripts, school profile, class ranking, etc.... Again, it's summer. The school isn't going to have the best hours when someone can help you. Contact them before school lets out.

5. Being you'll know who the ALO is; stay in constant contact with them. Spend from now until the end of this school year doing running, pushups, pullups, situps, etc... Be ready to take the CFA immediately.

6. Also; as soon as the application is available, schedule the medical review. Have your physical done.

7. Now that you're familiar with the representative's and senator's requirements for a nomination, contact their point of contact around May/June (Right after finishing Junior Year). Ask them when the soonest is they will start accepting nomination packets. Most will accept them early, but want at least your final grades from your Junior Year. Either way, contact them. At the same time, if you are eligible for any other nominations such as presidential, vp, etc... contact the academy counseling office AFTER the start of the application process; mid/end July. They will help you with the other nominations. If it's just your senator/representative, then you already will know that process.

8. Now; if you have all these ducks lined up, there is absolutely no reason in the world that you can't have your application completely done before 1 September. It's totally possible. I've know people who have had them done towards the end of July. If you have your teacher's lined up, school admin lined up, SAT/ACT sent automatically, and lined up with the ALO; it is totally feasible.

My son went to summer seminar around the 14th of June; in 2007. When he came back, the online application was available about a week later. He did the essays over the weekend, had the teacher's email addresses inputted, had his transcripts ready for mailing through the school the following week. He already scheduled with the ALO to take the CFA that same week. (He took it twice to see if the 2nd time would have better scores). He then submitted those scores. Had the DODMRB physical scheduled as soon as it was allowed to. His physical was about 2 weeks later. He had his entire application 100% completed on his half, by July 19th. Within a week, the teacher's recommendations were done, transcripts in place, and because he was authorized to apply for a presidential nomination, it was completed. By 27 July; everything; including DODMRB was complete, CFA, All online, Nomination, etc... He then just waiting. The board starts reviewing records, the first part of September. The online application even recommends trying to have your application completed within 45 days. We took that to heart. And that was the goal. Finish it by 1 September. He had about 60 days to work with, and finished it entirely in 30 days on his part; 45 days to solidify the teachers, transcripts, medical, etc...

He STILL scheduled interviews with the state representative and senators in case the presidential fell through. They don't do their interviews until October. They make their list of nominees by November. My son was fortunate because the presidential did come through for him in August, and he received his actual appointment the 1st of November. But had he not, he then would have continued with the nomination interviews for the rep and senator. They would have given names by November, and the academy would then take it from there.

Hope this explains some. The timeline on the web site is pretty good. You don't put in for nominations or even talk to your representative/senators until after school lets out at the end of junior year. But you need to have it through the process before the end of December. By then, the academy is going full force looking at who has nominations and who will get an appointment. Please ask more questions if I didn't answer fully. And definitely surf this forum. There's a lot of great info here by a lot of candidates, cadets, alumni, parents, etc..... Best of luck. Mike....l.

Last edited:
Mike, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!:biggrin:

WOW! That makes so much more sense to me now. I completely understand what you took the time to explain and I will take your advice and do just like you suggested. We have already been in contact with his ALO. I will really need to make sure that he stays on top of all this because we live in a VERY small town, and a good distant drive is always a requirement to get anywhere!:shake: His ALO is a good 2 hours from where we live and it is 5 hours to get to where he will need to have his nomination appointment at. So it is great that I have a better idea of what needs to be done.

Did your son make it into the academy?

Shannon

No problem. Glad it makes sense. Yes, he is in his 2nd year and doing quite well. Thanks for asking. Best of luck. Mike....

Mike, you made my day! Thank you for that response~

And thanks Shannon for posting that question.

Leanne

Back