Good CFA Scores?

Ironman

10-Year Member
5-Year Member
Okay so I just took the CFA this morning and wanted to know if these are good scores or if you guys think I should retake

BBall: 63'
Pull-ups: 18
Shuttle: 9.00
Sit-ups: 95
Push-ups: 75
Mile: 7:07

So I maxed out in 3 areas and I am slightly under average in the other areas... I have the option of retaking it, so should I?

Those are great scores. I would say be honest to yourself, how else does your packet rack and stack? Is it really solid? I.E. Athletics, leadership, SATs. If you are above all then, don't take the chance of injuring yourself. Your in the average for the other three. If you feel that your ECS are lacking, especially athletically, than I would try to get the run lower.

As it has been said over and over again, the CFA means alot to the AFA because of the altitude and the fear that cadets will have problems acclimating in the first few weeks of BCT.

Well the rest of my packet is moderately good:

3.5 GPA all AP classes senior year and I have never taken a non-elective class below honors

SATs:
670 Math
630 Reading
600 Writing

Leadership: Cadet 1st Lieutenant U.S. Civil Air Patrol - Squadron commander; Highschool Leadership Team - tutor other students and work to improve school

Athletics: None for my school, but I am a level 2 Krav Maga (martial arts) student

Where are you from? The fact that you seem light on your ECs and athletics, I would lean to getting higher scores, even a few feet or a few seconds can make or break. Did you do SLS?

I am from metro area Atlanta, GA. I have not done SLS. My ALO told me everything looked pretty good, but that I would have to score better on my CFA due to lack of highschool sport. He told me that my CAP record looked pretty impressive actually (I have done alot with CAP) and the fact that I have a high leadership position would look pretty good to the AFA. I am responsible for 30 - 40 of my fellow cadets on a weekly basis.

Listen to your ALO, they know your comp. The fact is the AFA will not give an apptmt from the slate until everyone has a WCS. NO CFA, means no WCS, thus no apptmt for the slate.

is there a dictionary on here for some of the termonology? lol, sorry could you please define what you mean by slate and WCS?

Slate...every MOC has 10 candidates that they can nom on one slate. This is true for Cong or Sen. MOCs can have 5 charges at one time, this means sometimes they have 2 slates to fill. Each slate is 10. It is not a list of 20 and they pick the highest 2, it is 2 separate slates of 10. The MOCs determine how the slat eis presented to the AFA. Alphabetically, rack and stack, or principal

WCS Whole Candidate Score. This is the score that board assigns to you after rating your packet. This score is then places against the slate. YOUR WCS includes PAR (prior academic rec..i.e. gpa, SAT/ACT), ECs (leadership, sports and CFA), and recs/essays (teacher and ALO). Points are given and assigned to you, now known as your WCS.

The candidate with the highest WCS on the slate wins the appointment. Thus, going back to how competitive you are against your slate.

Remember MOCS have candidates across districts throughout the state. For our DS, he was the only one from our cong to get a senator nom, let alone both. He was the only one in his school district to get a cong., we had 2 congs for the school district.

Last edited:
So then how does the MOC decide which slate you go into. If there are 2 slates of 10?

Well, I retook my CFA again this evening (yes two in one day, it was fun):

BBall: 73'
Pull-ups: 12 (Pain in core muscles got to me)
Shuttle: 8.62
Sit-ups: 95
Push-ups: 75
Mile: 6:20 (Extreme Motivational State, plus I found my headphones :biggrin: )

So now I am above average in every score zone, but dropped a max out in one area. I am probably going to go ahead and submit this one.

Ironman,

DO IT!

These are good scores and will set you fine.

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

So knowing this new information and my previously stated background info, how do u think my WCS will stand up?

So knowing this new information and my previously stated background info, how do u think my WCS will stand up?
Not having your entire package, I really can't tell you how you'd stand. And only the AFA and your ALO would know what your WCS is, and ONLY after it's been fully evaluated.

IF you are satisfied, and your ALO has gone over everything and is good with it, then your job now is to SIT...and wait...and wait...and wait.... :thumb:

Steve
USAFA ALO
USAFA '83

Online candidate kit question

I am "in the process" of completing my online kit, (just need my CFA and essays) but i have a question. I know that the sooner i submit all of it the better, but is there a deadline to submit all of this if so, when. I was under the impression that it was the same deadline as the senators (mid october), but i just wanted to make sure.

No need to ask the question in multiple places. See my other response. mike....

Back